bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
AeroScale: 1,198 posts
Posted: Friday, April 24, 2009 - 08:19 AM UTC
I have come into 2 Revell of Germany BF-110 G-4 Nightfighter kits in 1/32 scale. I would like to know what known errors there are in the kit. I have read Brett Green's Osprey Publications book Modelling the Messerschmitt Bf-110 which discusses the Revell 1/48 kit and the problems with the spinner lengths and nacelle dimensions. Green's book talks about upgrades for the 1/48th kit, but unfortunately doesn't help me in the larger scale.

I am aware of Eduard's two upgrade kits for the interior and exterior, but the canopy mask for this kit has been discontinued. How different is the BF-110 C/D canopy? I have the mask for the new DML kit, and wondered if it would work on the Revell?

I have searched this site and the Internet for upgrades, but have found nothing else. Thanks in advance for any help.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Friday, April 24, 2009 - 09:14 PM UTC
Hi Bill

These drawings from Kagero's "Bf 110 Volume 2" give an idea of the canopy changes to the gunner's position.

You can see the masks for the forward section may fit - there's no guarantee that masks designed for one kit will work on another, regardless of whether the full-sized aircraft was unchanged.

I don't know of other upgrades for the Revell kit, but I'll keep an eye open.

All the best

Rowan
bilko
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 584 posts
AeroScale: 96 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 25, 2009 - 01:47 AM UTC
Bill

Don't know of any errors etc for this kit. I am building one now OOB and due to space issues I decided to make it an "in flight" model.

There are a few issues. The undercarriage doors don't fit together closed all that well. I have glued the engine covers in place and the join to the rest of the nacelle is atrocious on the port side and just bad on the starboard . Likewise the nose cover for the guns does not sit that well. Also the lower wingroot join on each side is a bit stepped. Plenty of magic sculpt has been used to hopefully correct the bumps in the wrong places.

I masked the canopy with frisket film - a first for me - and I reckon it was half the time and 20 times easier than using tamiya masking tape.

I have also tried a bit of a test fit of the radar arrays and that is not pretty. I foresee some careful nibbling of the attachment arms to get an unbowed and square fitting.

Anyway mine is off to the paintshop tomorrow morning (hopefully and household chores permitting), and if I'm lucky some photos will go into the nightfighter campaign gallery in the next week or so.

Good luck with yours.

Brian
 _GOTOTOP