_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
Phantom Changes (F to E)
squeeky1968
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 315 posts
AeroScale: 66 posts
Posted: Friday, April 24, 2009 - 08:44 AM UTC
Hi Gang,
I`ve treated myself to Revell`s big 1/32nd scale F-4F Phantom but what i really want to do is turn it into an E model from the Vietnam War.
To this end i`ve bought Zotz`s Deadly JJaws (their spelling from the tail codes on the jets)Decal sheet,if anyone who is familiar with this kit can help me by telling me what to add/subtract i would be really grateful.
Some useful clues lie in the kit itself,in the "do not use" blanks on the instructions.Would using these make her into an E ?.
Also i would like to use the Countermeasures pod,would this be accurate for a Vietnam warbird ?.
pigsty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,226 posts
AeroScale: 640 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 25, 2009 - 09:35 PM UTC
I think the basics are pretty much there, but you may be in for a bit of work. The main differences between the F-4E and the F-4F were internal, largely to do with fuel capacity and AIM-7 capability, but the missile recesses were retained so you won't have to excavate them. However, there was no in-flight refuelling receptacle on the spine, so you'd need to scribe the appropriate panel ines; the tailplanes had no leading-edge slots, so you'd need to add them; and the gun muzzle fairing is likely to be diffferent from those used on Vietnam-period F-4Es. Worse, though, the Revell kit is reputed to be plagued with small errors, which will be as bad for an F-4E as they are for an F-4F. I don't have a list but someone on the interweb is bound to - recommend you check that out before committing knife to plastic.
Netz-16A
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 21 posts
AeroScale: 20 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 12, 2009 - 05:38 AM UTC
As stated the visual differences are the slotted stabs, and also Vietnam era F-4Es did not have the wing slats,they were all "Hard Wing" a/c, this was a modification that happened in 1972, and was added to the production line at that time.
Curt
 _GOTOTOP