_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
160th SOAR AH/MH-6J/M Littlebird Info
adamant
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Zealand
KitMaker: 152 posts
AeroScale: 7 posts
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2009 - 10:31 PM UTC
Hi guys, am new to the site and for my first project would like to try my hand at producing a little bird delivering Delta operators to a somali roof top, my problem with regards this is not having details of the seat arrangement, as far as i know DML make the closest version of this but in gunship configuration, have searched high and low for any detailed pics alas no luck, if its a case of opsec which i do wonder about then no problem will revert to artistic license. Any help appreciated if worse comes to worse i doubt any Delta operators will speak up and say i got it wrong, Thanks in advance for any help.

cheers

Avus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Roma, Italy
KitMaker: 302 posts
AeroScale: 112 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2009 - 03:57 AM UTC
As you say DML's Little Bird is the "Gunship" version known as AH-6 (or "Killer Egg"), the transport version is the MH-6 (or "Six-Pack"). Besides the weapon system there is no great difference since they are both equipped (or equippable) with the same electronics.

In your case you could start with DML's model (which is hard to find) and "simply" add planks. I have a scetch of the mounts I made when I built my MH-6.
As soon as I find it I'll post it along with some pics I used for reference.

HTH
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2009 - 05:10 AM UTC
Here's a great walkaround with many reference pics.

MH-6 Little Bird

Joe
Avus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Roma, Italy
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2009 - 06:59 PM UTC
I completely forgot about that walkaround on PrimePortal. Thanks Joe.

Here's the sketch of the mount I made for my build:

Here's the article of my rendering on ARC.
adamant
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Zealand
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2009 - 07:24 PM UTC
Thanks a ton Joe, Klaus really appreciate the help, those details will be a great aid, thanks again guys!

James
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2009 - 08:15 PM UTC
Tto building one, Cobra Company did make an MH-6J MELB conversion. The planks are of a different design than the ones in the walk-around above, but still look good. The set also has lots of other goodies in it to upgrade the kit.

I used it on my MH-6J MELB and w/pilots and Operators added.
adamant
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Zealand
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2009 - 09:01 PM UTC
Hey Gino, thanks for that mate, great job on the helo and Operators! will no doubt spend the next few hours admiring you and Klauses work, ill be studying all this info very carefully over the next few days. Cheers.

ps Just an observation, i notice no sign of a harness in any of the provided info, in regards the seated Operators also noticed this while surfing Military photo cite am guessing this is a closely guarded secret cheers all
Avus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Roma, Italy
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2009 - 09:05 PM UTC
You're welcome.

I've been told that the opereators are secured with a hook on a strap, linked to a loop on their belt during flight. They would unhook once in proximity of the deploy zone.
PanzerMike
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hamilton, New Zealand
KitMaker: 298 posts
AeroScale: 120 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 09, 2009 - 05:51 PM UTC
From what i saw in the Army - our recon guys use a harness with a clip like if you were abseiling when they rope out of the Hueys.
DirSec
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 2 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 05, 2009 - 06:07 AM UTC
Hey Adamant,

I am currently in the middle of a 1:6 scale conversion myself and I happen to be lucky enough to be putting this on display at the 160th SOAR in KY.

Just a little heads-up; if you are specifically going to try and build an MELB there are some MAJOR changes to the aircraft that go unnoticed by most.

These are not part of Cobra's conversion kit or in the two known walk-around sets from Michael Supko an 'E' model (linked above by Mother) or the 'J' model series from James Green posted at;

ARC

The MELB was modified extensively by the 160th and is officially the A/MH-6M. Note that like the F/A-18, the current Little Bird is intended to be a single, mission modifiable platform with a common avionics system meaning certain components, i.e., FLIR, cockpit display screens, bench seats, weapons systems and support equipment can be added or removed per tasking.

The newest version is the 'M' model and according to MD Helicopters (MDHI), the majority of exterior changes were done by the 160th. MDHI sells "kits" to the Army and can't provide a lot of information on the modifications but here's what I've found so far;

The MELB has a SIX-BLADE main rotor system taken from the MD600 and a "cruciform" four-blade tail rotor that is similar, but not identical to the Apache Delta's.

The fuselage is slightly longer and based on the MD530F verses the original MD500 or 369FF.

The cargo area door has been significantly widened and reshaped.

The upper Vertical Stab has an add-on "sleeve" making it notably wider and deeper which forced them to move the nav lights onto the lower half.

The upright fire extinguisher has been moved to tuck horizontally between the pilot's seat and the outer wall.

There are a myriad of changes of antennae and other appendages around the aircraft and I have yet to identify a fixed "layout" to a specific model. On some there are both visible red and IR lights under the nose and the white approach light is IR on others.

There are also add-ons attached to the skid legs making them wider and the forward end of the skids are flat and do not have nav lights on them. These on earlier models were located on small appendages immediately aft of the cargo doors but have been moved to the foot pegs on the forward skid legs, and again, some are visible light, some are not.

To this day, the ubiquitous satellite antenna just aft of the rotor sail appears to be the cross shaped type on the 'M'.

The overhead canopy windows are darkly smoked (tinted) and the seats and belts are black instead of OD.

The "Bench" is also different. It is not the older slab type, it has a concave strip down the length and a hollow bottom with diamond cross pattern.

A clear Lexan wind shield has been added on the leading edge of the aircrew doors.

As there doesn't appear to be an FS# for the CARC paint used by the 160th, I would suggest using HeavyArty's scheme.

If you decide to get involved in this project, let me know and I can post additional pics.

Jeff
Ellevenbravo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 269 posts
AeroScale: 6 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 30, 2009 - 05:43 AM UTC
Awesome Littlebird pictures. I'd love to see more if you have any. Interesting to see the latest updates to the M (the plexiglass shield around the doors for example).

I'm working on a charlie model LIttlebird but any new pictures are always appreciated.

Regards,

John
adamant
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Zealand
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 - 10:52 PM UTC
Hey Jeff sorry for the late reply. I have almost given up searching for the DML kit needed so this project is still on the ground so to speak. But am still keen and hopefully will be able to source the kit sometime soon,. Thanks again for the help one and all. Great info Jeff, thanks for sharing.
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 12, 2009 - 03:56 AM UTC
Great Models Webstore is currently listing the 1/35 Dragon AH-6J as In Stock. Not too bad a price either.

Quoted Text

Just a little heads-up; if you are specifically going to try and build an MELB there are some MAJOR changes to the aircraft that go unnoticed by most. These are not part of Cobra's conversion kit...

Also a note of clarification. The above statement by DirSec only applies to a current MH-6M. The Dragon AH-6J and Cobra Company's conversion set will build into a correct MH-6J MELB from about 1990-2005. The current MH-6M, as he points out, is a very differnt aircraft though.

Another note: The below pic from Jeff shows the type of plank in the Cobra Company MELB set.
adamant
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Zealand
Posted: Friday, November 13, 2009 - 07:22 PM UTC
Thanks Gino! Much appreciated, thank you!
This post was removed.
Removed by original poster on 11/14/11 - 02:29:05 (GMT).
Trisaw
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,105 posts
AeroScale: 27 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2011 - 03:48 PM UTC
I think the AH-6M also have a new cockpit panel display totally different from the AH-6J. The below photo was the plan...

http://img.blog.yahoo.co.kr/ybi/1/24/56/shinecommerce/folder/82/img_82_12066_4?1261102248.jpg

I'm not sure if this cockpit was ever made for the real AH-6M, let alone in resin. As you could see, the "M's" cockpit is vastly different from the analog dial dash column of the AH-6J.
This post was removed.
This post was removed.
Removed by original poster on 11/12/11 - 22:19:29 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 11/12/11 - 22:20:06 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 11/10/11 - 03:33:50 (GMT).
This post was removed.
Removed by original poster on 12/14/17 - 15:22:55 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 12/15/17 - 17:48:06 (GMT).
 _GOTOTOP