_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Masks for lozenge fabric, are they required?
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2009 - 08:38 AM UTC
At the IPMS Scale Modelworld show in Telford 2 years ago, or was it 3? Time slips by Anyway whenever it was I got talking to the guys from "Cross and Cockade" about masks for lozenge fabric. I did come up with a method but never got around to trying it as I needed a diagram of the actual lozenge. I also came to the conclusion that decals probably better represented fabric anyway.
However I have been thinking about this again and thought that the best route was to first of all find out if the modellers who built models that require the lozenge look thought it to be a good idea.

So what do you think?
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2009 - 10:08 AM UTC
I tried it years back..on a Revell DVII masking with translucent acetate cut off of a master photocopy....results were mixed, some good bits some bad, due in all to the mask not being stuck down.......IT WAS DAMN HARD WORK..................give me the decals........now
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2009 - 01:06 PM UTC
I heard there was one company that did this and it did not sell well. The time to layer 4 - 5 colour masks for one colour is what mainly deters most modelers from this. But conversely the larger the scale the more masks seem to be appreciated . Just my opinion.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2009 - 06:12 PM UTC
Hi Mal , Stephen is correct there was a company many years ago that made them on frisk film . I only heard of them once and that was it . In many ways I like the idea but in other ways it isn't very practical to do it . To have four or five layers of paint is a lot of build up this would be my main thing about them . Large scale from 32 and up this might pay off . So far the only company that I'm a ware of is techmod . So having the option to use mask might be something I would try .
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2009 - 07:11 PM UTC
Well I have the wingnuts lozenge in 1/32 with the new LVG kit.....its by Cartograf, it looks litho printed as opposed to screen but I'm no expert. At first I wondered why but this does however give it a kinda fabriccy appearance. Wingnuts have this marked for release but....here in the UK Parcelforce sting you for handling on the kits so prolly the same for anything.

I have the Techmod 1/32 too but its colours are way out and quite garish to my eye.

But theres hope, with the release of more 1/32nd kits Microsculpt or someone may step up and give us big boys and girls a nice surprise.

Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2009 - 06:55 AM UTC
Thanks for the input guys and Gal
Actually the way that my masks would work there would be no paint build up, I won't try and explain it here as it would take some time, in writing.

Can anyone point me to a diagram of the pattern, then I can maybe try the masks and get back to you so you can see what I'm talking about, Ta

Don't forget though that national markings are easy to mask.

thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2009 - 07:20 AM UTC
Hi Mal , what size of pattern do you need ? If you can get a hold of Dan San Abbott on the Areodrome he will be able to really aid you . Stephen knows him well so maybe he can hook you up with a contact . You can also go to this web site Microsculpt.com , Tom has images of the four and five colour , save image and you can enlarge it from there .
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2009 - 08:12 AM UTC
Thanks Terri.
The size doesn't really matter as I just need the pattern to work out how/if the masks will work.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2009 - 08:37 AM UTC
I think we could arrange a meeting.
 _GOTOTOP