_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
What's this "hole" in a spitfire V?
stonar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 337 posts
AeroScale: 309 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2009 - 10:02 PM UTC
Hi all
I was looking at a piccy of the starboard side of a Mk V Spitfire and noticed a small round opening (looks like it has a dark (red?) surround) about 2/3 of the way back between the rear of the canopy and the tail fin and above the squadron code.
It seems odd that I never noticed something so obvious before!
Can anyone enlighten me as to what this is please?
Thanks
Cheers
Steve
robot_
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 719 posts
AeroScale: 691 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2009 - 11:03 PM UTC
I guess you might be referring to the hole where the IFF wire leave the fuselage. Any chance of a photo?
EdgarBrooks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 397 posts
AeroScale: 384 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2009 - 11:32 PM UTC
It could be the I.F.F. aerial hole, and the red was insulation to stop it shorting out, but they were situated near the centre of the roundel. The aerials were held taut, inside, by bungee cords. Although the radios were replaced, in 1944, by the Mk.III I.F.F., with a bar aerial under the starboard wing, the holes could still be seen (they should have been taped over) on some aircraft. There's a 21, in Scotland, which still has them visible.
However, from your description, it sounds more like the "Upward-firing recognition device." This was a one-shot pyrotechnic, rather like a truncated Very pistol, which was fired by a lanyard, with the handle down by the pilot's left elbow. It fired the colours of the day; the hole was normally covered by a red patch (same as the .303" muzzles,) and the shot just blasted through it. When first fitted, apparently, it was near the tailwheel, and fired down (must have been interesting for anyone passing by the airfield, at the time,) but I haven't found any photos of that arrangement.
Edgar
stonar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 337 posts
AeroScale: 309 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2009 - 12:03 AM UTC
Thanks for the replies. It's visible on the Canadian Spit I'm planning to do.

Very obvious above the N of the code. It is surely far to high up for the IFF antenna. I think it's some kind of opening or are my eyes decieving me (again) An upward firing pyrotechnic seems like the one.
Thanks again for your help.
Steve
okdoky
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,597 posts
AeroScale: 34 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2009 - 08:15 AM UTC
Hi Folks

From the "Spitfire the History" book it is definitely the signal discharger.

Diagram in book is very clearly that location.

Nige
 _GOTOTOP