Modern aircraft of the United States.
F-15C weekend build
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Friday, May 01, 2009 - 02:42 PM UTC
Last year the family and I went to an air show, there my daughter Samantha watched a F-15 do its thing in the sky and fell in love with it. After the show she asked if I’d build her one. So today I was able to get started on it. It’s a Tamiya 1/48th F-15C with TwoBobs decals.

This will be a one weekend build, yes one weekend…this weekend May 1st thru 3rd. The biggest problem will be the major seam line along the cockpit section of the fuselage. I spent the morning cleaning up the whole kit, and fill the seams with super glue and accelerator.

Sam asked if I could display in flight, so I drilled out the engine faces and glued in 8mm round rod. From there they’ll slip into another rod supporting the F-15.

I'll post tonight’s progress tomorrow

Happy Modeling,
Joe
MARPAT
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Northern Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 206 posts
AeroScale: 37 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 02, 2009 - 05:07 PM UTC
looks really good so far... can't wait to see the completed version...
Blueheeler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 347 posts
AeroScale: 223 posts
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2009 - 11:08 PM UTC
How did you go with it all Joe? Hope to see some photos up soon?!
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 05, 2009 - 07:28 PM UTC
Well I got it done, but didn’t finish as I hope on Sunday…sort of. I was able to finish the F-15 but not the base. I had a few distractions on Saturday afternoon and was not able to get back modeling after diner in which I clear coated it with Future Floor Wax and dried it with the wife hair dryer followed by decals. I then did an oil wash, left it on 2 hours and wiped it off using an old tee shirt. Sunday morning after breakfast I sprayed a dull coat, finished the cockpit and tanks. By the afternoon I started on the base and once again I was distracted with the family and went out to diner with the wife. By that I time I just didn’t feel like modeling anymore and held of till Monday. I finished of the base and mounted to it.

The base is an old plaque of something in which I drilled in two holes for the plastic rods to go into. I then glued them in from the bottom. I then drew out the patch pattern and traced it onto masking tape, followed by cutting it out. I than penciled in the lines followed by hand painting in the colors. I didn’t have any of the large dry transfers so I opted for the model box wording “F-15C”

If it wasn’t for those small distraction I think I would have finished it off Sunday night.

I have to say that this kit had its fair share of fit problems, especially around the nose cone and aft side of fuselage.

It's been an over due project, as I said this was for youngest daughter and when she came home from school yesterday she was very thrilled with it.

Happy Modeling,
Joe
Blueheeler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 347 posts
AeroScale: 223 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 05, 2009 - 10:47 PM UTC
Beautiful work Joe! Looks amazing
Careos
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 85 posts
AeroScale: 3 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 06, 2009 - 03:06 PM UTC
Dude! You make me sick! You did a better job in a weekend than I could have done in a year!

Also I like the Jessica Simpson butt in the background....pretty sad I can identify it.
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 06, 2009 - 04:19 PM UTC
Yeah Jessica....."lost in thought".....Um yeah it was a great little build, fast and out of box. Something I seldom do. I will say this, future aircraft builds I will make them in flight. Not only do they look great the will save space shelving them.

Thanks Guys
Joe
endrju007
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wojewodztwo Podkarpackie, Poland
KitMaker: 2,435 posts
AeroScale: 26 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 09:13 AM UTC
Beautiful work mate!
I'm building F-15 from Italeri right now and it's a pain in the a$$... Tamiya have some great solutions in their model where Italiery totally sucks...

Andrzej
Herchealer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 1,523 posts
AeroScale: 175 posts
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2009 - 03:49 PM UTC
Your F-15 Look Great Mother, But how can it fly without a pilot???

Great Build
Herky
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 30, 2009 - 05:49 AM UTC
Thanks guys…Andrzej I suggest buying the Revell kit the next time. Great kit and price.

Jeremy it’s hard to see it but there is a pilot seated, wearing a white helmet and green flight suit. He’s leaned forward looking over his left shoulder.

Happy Modeling,
Joe
Herchealer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 1,523 posts
AeroScale: 175 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 30, 2009 - 12:57 PM UTC
I see him now.

Herky
 _GOTOTOP