_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
Westland Wyvern cockpit and interior colors?
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 05, 2009 - 09:35 AM UTC
Hi!

Recently I made a slowish start on Trumpeter's 1:48 scale wyvern.
I'm aware of the manufacturer's sometimes dubious color callouts, but now there's two conflicting parties, as I'm using Eduard's interior PE set as well.

I had the impression that the cockpit interior was black.
However, Trumpeter's intructions have it to be painted 'dark gull grey' (Gunze #317), with black consoles and instrument panel coaming. Eduard's photo-etched parts stirr things up some more, with the pre-painted portions being dark grey (pretty much close to extra dark sea grey).
I'm confused.

Also, what color should I paint the fuselage interior where the (torpedo strike?) camera is installed? The instructions say nothing about this area.
Neither do they mention the color of the camera itself... What would be the correct color that?

One more question:
I remember reading somewhere that one camera bay side window was usually covered on operational aircraft. Any ideas how it might have been done? Painted over? Covered with tape or similar material?
Should I just paint over the window on the side the camera is not pointed to, blend it in with putty or use masking tape or what?

Thanks in advance.
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 05, 2009 - 09:04 PM UTC
I'm doing the wyvern for the carrier plane campaign too so I got the 4+ book on the wyvern.

The colour cockpit photos in there are for the prototype and it is black save for the two panels either side of the centre panel which are brown, made from a kind of pressed wood. The photos for the S.4 are b/w but centre panel doesn't look as black.

Bottom of the seat is brown also. No ejector seat on the prototype. I assume the 1/48 is an S.4 like the 1/72 kit.
So probably black but dark grey would be better for scale viewing anyway. Plenty of bolts on the centre console to add texture also.

The camera ports look to be painted over on some a/c and puttied smooth on others. The interior photos are of the prototype and they are aluminum inside. Don't know what the production colour would have been.

Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 05, 2009 - 10:21 PM UTC
Thanks for the info.

Got your PM too.
 _GOTOTOP