_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
SE5a markings query
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 06, 2009 - 08:40 PM UTC
Hi Guys and girls.

A quick one I hope...I'm building Wingnuts SE5a as some of you will know. The markings for A/C K of 40 Sqn is the one I chose but..the only reference I have is the kit instructions and decals and the painting on the front of the windsock datafile by Brian Knight.

Now here is the question....The bands around the struts, in the painting are thinner and more numerous than the kit which shows only 4 black bands. Can anyone verify which is correct and any other little pointers or point me in a direction to find out.

Many thanks

Keith (confused as always :-P )
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 07, 2009 - 04:53 AM UTC
No worries Keith it works out fine. I checked the inside cover of the RAF SE 5a Datafile. The SE 5a D3540 is a Hisso powered machine and the struts are alternately painted black and white. Note also they do not give you the black ends for the interplane struts and that way you can paint them yourself. This rather than getting a decal to form over them. A quick check of my kit says that it will work out just fine. Good luck with the "Artful Dodger."

Click Here for the history of the name.
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 07, 2009 - 05:37 AM UTC
Do I feel stupid or what.....I have the datafile, Ihave scoured it from cover to cover.......then finds the pic on the inner cover....Doh, thanks Stephen and Kalt for assists.

Slinks off into the corner to make an appointment for the Opticians.

Keith
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 07, 2009 - 08:35 AM UTC
Been there done that . Don't feel alone.
 _GOTOTOP