_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
PZL 23B Karas
Czarny
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Krakow, Poland
KitMaker: 68 posts
AeroScale: 62 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 07, 2009 - 09:27 AM UTC
I'm starting here with rather exotic topic. This going to be Polish WW II low-level recon bomber PZL 23B Karaś.

I have bought WCM special edition kit with resin bombs and crew. I have added Part PE set. Currently I'm working over interior:

Part Pilot's seat:

Some details:

alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 07, 2009 - 06:10 PM UTC
Hi Marcin

Thats a really cool start on the model! I also have the WMC edition and an Eduard set but on very low priority somewhere down the stack ..... still I will watch this thread with much interest ....

How do you get such a clean result? when I glue PE I always have much CA glue showing ...

all the best

Steffen
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 07, 2009 - 07:19 PM UTC
Hi Marcin,

Great start indeed!

The Part photoetched pieces look fantastic. I will take a seat next to Steffen if you don't mind and follow the build with great interest.

Jean-Luc
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 07, 2009 - 07:38 PM UTC
I have this kit as well, but only the regular version, it looks like a well detailed model in any case. Also the quality of the plastic parts is a lot better than the P.37 kit that i just did, though still a slightly rough texure tot he plastic- but not as bad.

Anyway this build will be a valuable reference for me, since i eventually intend to do this and a PZL.11 to go with the P.37. Though i now estimate that i need to live to be 140 years old i fi am to get all my "intend to" projects done. The will is there but the time is not!

Andrew
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2009 - 02:39 AM UTC
Just have to love Parts PE sets , Looking great so far , I like it . Totally a different aircraft .
Antoni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 574 posts
AeroScale: 573 posts
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2009 - 03:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Marcin

Thats a really cool start on the model! I also have the WMC edition and an Eduard set but on very low priority somewhere down the stack ..... still I will watch this thread with much interest ....

How do you get such a clean result? when I glue PE I always have much CA glue showing ...

all the best

Steffen

For fixing PE to plastic use Gator’s Grip. It is water soluble and the surplus can be easily washed off before it dries without your fingers sticking to the model or each other. It is also good for gluing the instrument panel to the photo film but I doubt it can be used for bonding metal to metal.

For large areas or amounts of PE I recommend Mr Metal Primer. It is a clear lacquer, not paint, like a thin nail varnish. It really helps stop the paint flaking off. If you use it on wire you can paint it with enamel and then bend it into shape without the paint cracking or flaking off.

Mini Replika 46 has an extensive article on building the Karaś I and issues 53 and 54 have a two part article ob building the Karaś II with both the Eduard and Part PE. All in Polish but there are lots of colour photos some of which can be seen on their website.

http://www.minireplika.pl/

They also show how to incorporate the dual controls fitted to the Karaś that are not included in the kit.

There are also some useful tips, especially the fitting of the gondola, to be found here

http://hsfeatures.com/features04/pzlp23karasiwp_1.htm

alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2009 - 06:07 AM UTC
Thanks for all the hints Antoni !

I use Kenny's glue already but just for canopies and instrument panels (and maybe some small stuff attached to cockpit sides).

But for assemblies like this:

I would still prefer CA (or solder). Marcins sub-assemblies just look marvellous and totally clean while I have always glue marks ...

all the best

Steffen
Czarny
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Krakow, Poland
KitMaker: 68 posts
AeroScale: 62 posts
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2009 - 07:01 AM UTC
Steffen -> I'm using DEBONDER:
http://www.jadarhobby.pl/debonder-zmywacz-plam-super-glue-25ml-p-8748.html?language=en

With this you can clean any fresh or old CA stains. Put some of Debonder on cotton swab and wash dirt place. Off course I'm doing my best to glue parts as clean as it is possible.

Antoni -> I knew Minireplika articles. For me it is not a problem that they are in Polish
In my build I also use a lot of photos showing real Karas and this: http://goran3d.fotosik.pl/albumy/553871.html
PanzerMike
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hamilton, New Zealand
KitMaker: 298 posts
AeroScale: 120 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 09, 2009 - 05:38 PM UTC
A very different subject , nice build so far
chukw1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 817 posts
AeroScale: 729 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 10, 2009 - 06:20 AM UTC
Wonderful stuff, Marcin- cheers! I once built a rubber-power stick and tissue Karas that flew quite well. I have this kit- and the Part interior set. It's the most intimidating collection of brass I've ever seen, and you are doing it perfect justice. Thanks for posting!

chuk
 _GOTOTOP