_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
IJN Zero Paint Scheme
ajkochev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 246 posts
AeroScale: 3 posts
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2009 - 08:35 AM UTC
I need advise on the Zeros of WWII. I've heard that the green paint used on the planes during the war came off easily but the primer was durable. So on alot of the planes you see the paint wearing off quickly leaving alot of primer showing. Is this true? Next what color was the primer? I've heard both Sliver and a Red-Brown.

Last, I'm planing on building and painting the Zero type 52 I reviewed a few weeks ago and would like advise on how to weather it. It will mostly be an OOTB build with maybe a few minor changes. I'm going to be using Model Master enamels, airbrushing their IJN Japan Army/Navy green for the top of the plane. I cannot use any other type of paints as these are all I have access to in my LHS. Any advise on painting is welcome and appreciated.
GVoakes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 193 posts
AeroScale: 32 posts
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2009 - 02:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I need advise on the Zeros of WWII. I've heard that the green paint used on the planes during the war came off easily but the primer was durable. So on alot of the planes you see the paint wearing off quickly leaving alot of primer showing. Is this true? Next what color was the primer? I've heard both Sliver and a Red-Brown.

You are partially correct. The paint used by IJAAF aircraft, especially late in the war, weathered quickly due to the lack of primer and the conditions that aircraft were flying in. The Zero, a navy aircraft, was primed, and the green tended to adhere to the aircraft much better. Most contemporary pictures show light weathering and chipping of the paint on Zeros. Primer was predominantly red/brown - early war aircraft were silver, and coated with a clear laquer. Navy aircraft had those areas not primed and painted (interiors, well bays) coated with Aotake, which was a clear blue green laquer, to prevent corrosion.

Quoted Text

Last, I'm planing on building and painting the Zero type 52 I reviewed a few weeks ago and would like advise on how to weather it. It will mostly be an OOTB build with maybe a few minor changes. I'm going to be using Model Master enamels, airbrushing their IJN Japan Army/Navy green for the top of the plane. I cannot use any other type of paints as these are all I have access to in my LHS. Any advise on painting is welcome and appreciated.

Is MM IJN Army/Navy Green a dark green? (I use Tamiya/Gunze, and old Aeromaster Acrylic I stockpiled before they went out of business) Late war Zeros were dark green over grey, with bright yellow/orange IFF bands painted on the leading edges of the wings. Check some of the pics on line - chipping should be lightly applied, and would be on areas of heavy wear (wing walks, wing leading edges). Paint also tended to fade quickly due to exposure to sun/humidity in the S. Pacific. The Hinomarus, however, appeared to hold their colour well (or were constantly being touched up) - I don't think I've ever seen a pic with the hinomarus noticably faded or chipped.

HTH

Grant
 _GOTOTOP