P51B Mustang painting question
MikeMx
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 649 posts
AeroScale: 434 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 - 03:43 AM UTC
Hi

I've dug out an old monogram P51B Mustang and decided to build it as an easy quick project. The instructions tell you what to paint all the little bits n pieces but not the main colours! I'm assuming the topsides should be olive drab but I don't know if the undersides should be silver or neutral grey? Can anyone please confirm the correct colours.

thanks
Mike
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 - 02:07 PM UTC
Hey there. Neutral Grey is the order of the day for the undersides and O.D. for the topsides. Unless of course you do a natural metal bird! Hope this helps. Russell
MikeMx
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 - 09:32 PM UTC
It most certainly does!

thanks
Mike
PanosT
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 36 posts
AeroScale: 22 posts
Posted: Friday, May 15, 2009 - 09:16 AM UTC
Hi Mike!
As Russell said Olive Drab for the top sides and Neutral Gray for the lower surfaces for sure!
And to be more specific O.D. ( FS: 34084), N.G. (FS: 36173)

http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/colorcharts/stuff_eng_colorcharts_us.htm

Panos
MikeMx
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2009 - 02:29 AM UTC
Hi
That chart is quite useful! My paints have turned up from Hannants and it looks like I have the correct Olive Drab, however I'm not sure about the second shade of Olive Drab I have or the neutral grey. The second Olive Drab is FS 14087 and the Neutral Grey is FS 16270 - any info on them? I have tested the Neutral grey and compared it to actual photos I took when I went to the Warbirds show at Duxford a couple of years ago and the Grey is similar to the grey on actual USAAF planes. Also is the interior colour (and wheel wells) of a P40 still interior green?

thanks
Mike
PanosT
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 36 posts
AeroScale: 22 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2009 - 07:01 AM UTC
Hi Mike!
I wouldn't worry about the Natural Gray because if you compare the one on the link with yours, they are only one or two shades different. If you consider the weathering, scale effect e.t.c. they gonna turn up pretty close. The Olive Drab (FS: 34084) is the right one.
As far as the P-40 I think you can find almost everything in the following link http://www.p40warhawk.com/index.htm
I hope you 'll find it useful!
Panos
MikeMx
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2009 - 08:38 AM UTC
Thanks again - thats helped a lot. There was some pics of a P40 wheel well in neutral grey - so know I know!

thanks
Mike
 _GOTOTOP