_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Trumpeter Sea Fury 1/48th and Eduard interior
Navyelephant
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 28 posts
AeroScale: 9 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 - 06:15 AM UTC
1st post, does anybody have any experience of fitting the etched cockpit tub into the Sea Fury fuselage? The etched parts would seem to fit into the plastic tub supplied as part of the Trumpeter kit, but........ Photos from any other build would be good!
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 - 07:32 AM UTC
It's this set we're talking about, right?

Unfortunately I don't have experience with this set so I can't say much about the fit. Eduard's PE tends to be well-designed so the parts should fit where they're supposed to when assembled properly.
Looking at the instructions of the interior set, it seems to share the pre-painted fret with the Zoom set for the same kit. If you're feeling wary about the PE cockpit tub, I guess you could just skip it and use the styrene tub instead.

If it's the rigidity of the PE tubs mounting to the fuselage you're thinking about, strengthening shouldn't be hard. For example, you could glue pieces of styrene to make larger gluing surfaces, stick in blobs of milliput (or similar stuff) from behind after gluing the tub (if the kits design permits this.

As the PE tub is complete replacement for the kit-part (and seems all the details could be added afterwards), why not fold up the tub to see how it fits before making your decision?

Navyelephant
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 28 posts
AeroScale: 9 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 - 08:38 PM UTC
Good advice. The etched detail and pre-painted/sticky-backed cockpit details are excellent. There is one slight draw back with the mix of ordinary PE and pre-painted, which is that the standard PE will need painting before adding the pre-painted items, thus adding multiple paint then add stages. Any mistakes with glue or solder will cause further frustration.....

I have already folded the tub and to get it to fit cleanly will require the use of styrene rods etc.My experience is that it will not be possible to mix the Trumpeter cockpit tub with the Eduard PE tub. The Eduard PE is too well made.
 _GOTOTOP