Do 335 cockpit colour question
buggalugs
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 135 posts
AeroScale: 115 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2009 - 01:59 AM UTC
Hi all,

Inspired by Wingman's fabulous build of Tamiya's Do 335B-2, I've dragged mine out of the stash and am about to start work on it. However, I have a question about the cockpit colour - RLM 02 or RLM 66? Tamiya's callout is for 02, which looks great, I think is what Wingman used and also makes historical sense, given that the Do 335 (I think) started life as a bomber rather than a fighter. However, in trawling the web for info, I've discovered a few other builds where people have used RLM66, which also (sort of) makes sense, given the late stage of the war, the morphing of the Do 335 into various fighter variants, etc. Can anyone shed any light on which colour might be correct? Not that it really matters that much....I'm planning on doing the V-14 in its postwar French colours.

thanks, Brad
DonSS3
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 92 posts
AeroScale: 91 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2009 - 02:42 AM UTC
This is just MHO, but looking at the late war timeframe I'd go with 66...

Here's some cockpit shots I came up with using Google Images:

http://images.google.com/images?as_st=y&hl=en&sa=1&q=%22Do+335+cockpit%22+-ebay%2C+-sim%2C+-simviation%2C+-retail%2C+-amt%2C+-hasegawa%2C+-tamiya%2C+-esci&btnG=Search+Images&aq=f&oq=

wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 880 posts
AeroScale: 654 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2009 - 03:03 AM UTC
H Brad, thanks for the kind words. I used RLM 02 with a raw umber/Future wash to darken it up a bit. It was a fun build that was very enjoyable, I hope you enjoy your build as much as I enjoyed mine. Keep us posted, Wingman out.
buggalugs
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, May 15, 2009 - 12:43 AM UTC
Hey there Don and Wingman

Thanks for the help and the pointers. I hadn't realised quite how many period photos of the 335 there are out there - I now have an excellent reference library for the build, but am still going to have to make a guess on that cockpit colour. I've seen evidence for both RLM 66 and RLM 02, but think I will go for a slightly beaten up version of the former, with RLM 02 wheel wells etc.

Before I start painting, however, I'm going to have to remove some ejector pin marks from the wheel wells and gear doors - there's a lot of them, so much so that I've bitten the bullet and got the Aires wheel wells on their way here. Not sure whether it will be more work grinding plastic and resin to fit the Aires stuff than it would be just to get rid of the pin marks in the first place, so we'll see. I've also got the Eduard etch set for the A-version, most of which will fit this kit as well.

Glued the wheels and stabilisers together tonight. Will post some pics when I get a bit further down the track.

cheers and thanks again, Brad
buggalugs
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, May 30, 2009 - 12:04 AM UTC
OK, a little progress to report, and a few pics. As I said, I'm using the Eduard etched set (designed for the `A' kit) and the Aires wheel well set to complement the Tamiya 1/48 Do335B-2 kit.

I'm not sure how much of the Eduard set I'll end up using - much of it is designed for the wheel wells (no need for that now) or the bomb bay (which I'm closing) or the cockpit (and I've already decided go with the kit instrument panel, which I'll add decals to, rather than use the Eduard etched item). However, the Eduard details I have built up so far, like the rudder pedals, certainly look the part.

The Aires wheel wells look brilliant - lots of subtle detail, and none of the pesky ejector pin marks of the kit original. See the comparison here (the residual water in the Aires well is from when I was sanding of the casting block).

This is the first time I've used Aires parts, and I've heard fitting them can be a challenge. So far these look like they'll fit OK - famous last words, I know - though they require removal of some of Tamiya's nicely engineered wing and fuselage structure...

Let's hope it all comes together on the day - I'm off to do some more grinding and test fitting - and maybe put some paint in the cockpit.

cheers, Brad

_GOTOTOP