_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
What's going on with this "Spitfire"?
tigermothtimoth
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 21 posts
AeroScale: 8 posts
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2009 - 07:04 AM UTC
Oops, different guy, sorry Nigel. Good natured smart assed comment was for Nige.
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2009 - 07:23 AM UTC
I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure that those last two posts have confused the beejeezuz out of me

Quoted Text

May I also add , Aeroscale is a great website where the forum members are able to exchange views without the juvenile flaming and profanity on some. I'm no prude but that sort of thing quickly becomes tiresome.

Thats what I love about Aeroscale as well!

PS,,Told you it wasnt a Typhoon

Nige
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2009 - 07:41 AM UTC
Your confused Nigel !!! I'm so lost now forgot what we where talking about !!!

Jp does have a point that it could be a firefly as well . So we can safely rule out the typhoon and take it out of the confusion . I still fix on that it is a Hurri though . The distance between the wheels when closed are very close to that of the Hurri and the angle of the legs when closed . Still surffing the net , but have only been able to find books for sale ........the search goes on ..........

That's what makes this the best site on the net Brinker
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2009 - 08:45 AM UTC
Hi all,

I don't want to put an end to such a nice party but I think it's most certainly a Hurricane...

If it's not, Hawker should accuse them for plagiarism!

Jean-Luc
pigsty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,226 posts
AeroScale: 640 posts
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2009 - 09:11 AM UTC
Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. I was misreading a rather muddy cutaway off the interweb when I should have been looking at proper ones on paper. Now I do think it's a Hurricane:
- the Hurricane's fuel tank does have an angled front after all, and it's longer than it is wide; the Typhoon's is wider than it is long;
- the flap actuator is attached to the rib immediately inboard of the tank;
- the connection between that rib and the front spar is a pair of members in a V, whereas the Typhoon's was an extension of the rib with a cut-out for the undercarriage leg; and
- the wheels practically touch when fully retracted.

Where can I put my face?

OK, if that's all sorted out (unless anyone wants to pitch for a Fury?), who's going to write to Life and tell them their archive's wrong?
tigermothtimoth
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 21 posts
AeroScale: 8 posts
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2009 - 09:12 AM UTC
What better end to a party than showing conclusively what it is! I believe Sherlock ....er, Jean-Luc has nailed it. Good eye! Wayne.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2009 - 09:58 AM UTC
I thought it was a Hurri , then Sean throw in the fuel tanks . My head is still spinning from that , no worries though I come back to ground sooner or later .

Yes Jean-luc has cleared up the issue nicely for us , even used some fancy red and blue lines ! No trouble at all Sean , you don't have to barrie your head . I get my info mix up from time to time as I'm sure we all do . Will have to pass on telling them that their photo is label wrong ..............................

So a man says ......how do you know these thiings .............well I said , I know things about legs !
EdgarBrooks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 397 posts
AeroScale: 384 posts
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2009 - 08:47 PM UTC
Sea Fury? No, although the wheels were close together, when retracted, they were still separated by a central "wall," so Hurricane has to be favourite. I think that this was taken at a repair facility in Canada, since they would have used zinc chromate primer, on a regular basis. Add in ready access, for an American magazine, and you have all the ingredients for a publicity photo. The primer might simply be there as a protection against too much corrosion on surfaces which have just been degreased; if they used paraffin, as specified in works manuals, there would, almost certainly, have been resultant damage to the paintwork.
Edgar
stonar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 337 posts
AeroScale: 309 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2009 - 05:24 AM UTC
Well that was fun. Hurricane it is! If you trawl through the Life archives you do find a few "dubious" labels and ,more suprisingly, dates. I ,however,am not expert enough or sure enough to write and tell them that they're wrong.
Cheers
Steve
 _GOTOTOP