_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Too Nit-Picky ?
squeeky1968
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 315 posts
AeroScale: 66 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2009 - 08:16 AM UTC
I have just had a thought (Yes,it did hurt ).
Just to throw my hat into the ring on a subject,are some people just too damn nit-picky when it comes to some things ?.I`ve been watching a programme on the F-117 which tempted me to reach for my Italeri 1/32 scale beastie,on another website someone absolutely slated it saying a lot of the body panel angles where out (i`m not naming names for the sake of not splitting hairs !).
I always thought that beauty was in the eye of the beholder coz it looks right to me.
Anyone want to add their two cents because i wonder what my fellow modellers out there think ?
bizzychicken
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 967 posts
AeroScale: 5 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2009 - 08:47 AM UTC
"It looks right to me" Hit the nail on the head! Most of us are Bolt Counters, but how far you take it is up to us. Dont get me wrong if a manufacturer makes a right " Balls Up " then yes, call in the accuracy police. Sometimes we as modellers can take things a bit to far, and I think its can sometimes spoil a project. For the quest for accuracy. its a tough one? A pannel line raised or sunken, is it a bolt or a screw head? Should'nt spoil a show winning masterpiece
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2009 - 09:02 AM UTC
If it looks right the only way to find out if you'll like it is to build it.
I was put off academy's p-39 by a review slating it but once built
it looks like a p-39 and was a fun kit. And turned out pretty well.
The problem with rivet counting is that all in all it isn't much fun for anyone.
Everything in this hobby is a compromise between accuracy, enjoyment, skill level, cost
for a start, you could add time and workspace and hundred other variables to that.
Find your happy place and move in the direction you desire, but baby steps.

Happy modelling
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2009 - 09:17 AM UTC
I'm definately of the school that "If it looks like a Spitfire/Heinkel/Zero/Whatever then its good enough for me.
Although I have been known to get a bit rivet counterish with my P-47s Thats more down to a case of wanting to make the most accurate representation of a chosen aircraft as possible at the time and with the information available.
The only person that really matters when building a model is the individual modeller, and he or she can determine the level of accuracy/detail to be aimed for dependant on many factors.
I have read threads absolutely slating models ( some that havent even been released yet),but dont see photos of many models from these armchair reviewers.
A classic example was the Dragon 1:32nd Mustang released a couple of years ago that many of these people said was "unbuildable" due to inaccuracies. A blogged build of the same kit on this site produced a stunning finished model.
Build what pleases you, to the level of detail that pleases you, and to the best of your ability at the time.
If you follow these three basic guidelines you'll enjoy modelling, produce models you enjoy looking at in future, and find yourself improving with every build.
Did I mention that you'll enjoy it?

Mentioning no names but it wouldnt happen to be the site where the "Numero Uno" has posted twice in the last few days telling people to play nicely or he'll take their ball away?

Enjoy the F-117!

Nige
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2009 - 09:34 AM UTC
I believe Nigel has stated well enough for me.

Usually I am the first one to state that Techmod 5 colur lozenge should never be on a Fokker Dr.I of any scale. BUT that is a historical application. Build what you want , how you want as best as you can. Model on!
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2009 - 09:35 AM UTC
Hyperscale again? They're way to leet for me.
stonar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 337 posts
AeroScale: 309 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2009 - 11:34 PM UTC
It's each to their own really. I would not build a nazi german warplane sans swastikas, but there's nothing wrong with not applying them if you don't want to. I'm quite happy with a model where the fin is 0.65 mm to tall or the air intake is round instead of slightly oval where others are not!
Look at the people on "that other site" beating themselves up over the shape of a particular 109 hood!
Constructive criticism of kits must be a good thing as it should help the manufacturers make them better but "fatal flaws",really,I think not.
The most important thing is to enjoy your hobby - no point in doing it otherwise.

As for you Nige, counting rivets, really!! Looking forward to seeing this moustachioed pilot figure at the O2. (I heard dimmers on the catwalks,ouch)

Cheers

Steve
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2009 - 03:02 AM UTC
I'm far from being any rivet counter or "that panel line is in the wrong place " ! , Oh my God they got the wing wrong , the kit can't be built . It has been said before It's only plastic . Be sides there is no such thing as the perfect flaw less kit , this is when are skills come in to make the changes if we like to . I build just oob while other builds I will do a fair bit of scratch building , even then I don't try and have 100% accurate . I just like to build and have fun and be able to share my projects . Might not be correct on some info I share but hey! I'm still learning which keeps me coming back . The nit-picking can be a real turn off and very discouraging . It is nice to watch some ones build and point out any problem areas and how they dealt with it . Not like on some sites where the nit-picking has become so out of hand over a 109 canopy that insults have been played back and forth . Now if these guy's are so good then how come we never see their builds ? Or if they are that good at what they do let them start up their own Model company manufacturing kits ...................

It's hobby , have fun with it and don't give your self a heart attack over it ............

LongKnife
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jönköping, Sweden
KitMaker: 831 posts
AeroScale: 688 posts
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2009 - 04:20 AM UTC
The only thing I can say on this issue is the following. I just love this place, I love all of you people and I'm so glad I found you all. An unknown philosopher once said that the internet was the final meeting point. Finally even the geeks found a place to meet, and what are we but geeks .

I jumped in here very soon after restarting modelling and what I was looking for was help, tips and encouragement. That I have got. The more I learn, the more accurate i might want to build, but I'm relieved that I havent been forced. Thanks all of you!

Tony (A little moved by thinking of friends never to meet)
pigsty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,226 posts
AeroScale: 640 posts
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2009 - 10:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Leet? Wossat?
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 - 04:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Leet? Wossat?

Probably street slang for Elite
airraid
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 277 posts
AeroScale: 142 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 - 04:33 AM UTC
I recently read a review of an airliner in 144 scale where the reviewer said that it was "3 scale inches short in length but that was close enough for him "???

Why is it that anyone interested in anything other than sport is a geek.?
LongKnife
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jönköping, Sweden
KitMaker: 831 posts
AeroScale: 688 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 - 10:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Why is it that anyone interested in anything other than sport is a geek.?

I would say it's by the same ruling that put sports inserts in the newspapers and not model/computergame/birdwatcher-inserts. I guess we should have been faster and more aggressive when Gutenberg invented the printing press but the footballers beat us to it, and geeks we became.

Tony
 _GOTOTOP