Hosted by Rowan Baylis
1/72 Spitfire model questions
MikeMx
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 649 posts
AeroScale: 434 posts
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2009 - 03:55 AM UTC
I'm looking for nice 1/72 Spitfire kits to build. So far I have found the Revell Spitfire Mk Vb, Hasegawa's Mk VIII, Fujimi's Mk XIV and PR Mk 19 to be good kits and Italeri's Mk IX not so good (bad fitting parts). I am not interested in Hobby Boss' MkV or the Airfix Mk I/II (unless they have produced new moulds) or indeed Tamiya's original Mk I for the same reason. I am interested in knowing what Xtrakit's Mk XII is like and any other Spitfire kit not mentioned. I'm only interested in injection moulded plastic kits that are quick simple builds and go together with minimum fuss.
Any help me here?

thanks
Mike
Aussie-Dave
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 8 posts
AeroScale: 7 posts
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2009 - 07:44 AM UTC
I'm surprised you haven't heard of all 1/72 AIRFIX Spitfires considering you live in the UK.
(They have several variants including a nice Mk.Vb.)

Cheers,
Dave
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2009 - 07:50 AM UTC
Theres a brand new tool 1:72 Airfix MK IX on the way, and also a PR Mk XIX just about to be released.
Nige
B24Liberator
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 134 posts
AeroScale: 113 posts
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2009 - 08:19 AM UTC
Hello Michael -

Well, from my references, which you may or may not agree with, the following list are the preferred Spitfire kits.
Airfix Mk I / II
Airfix Mk V
Tamiya Mk I
Tamiya Mk V
Airfix Mk IX and XIX -- like Nigel said, they are soon to be released and are re-tooled.
Hasegawa Mk VIII & IX
Academy Mk XIV

For as dated as the Airfix kits are - they are deemed to be some of the most accurate in lines & measurements.

Hope this helps! I think the Spit is one of the nicest and most gracefull aircraft around! Favorite all time variant...the Spit Mk V

MikeMx
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2009 - 10:40 AM UTC
Thanks guys.
I didn't think of the Airfix kits as I thought they were still the same as I made 20 + years ago. I will look out for the new airfix kits - it's about time they started to retool their kits. I would love airfix to produce kits that will compete with the Japanese manufacturers in particular. Does anyone know anything about the Xtrakit Spitfire mk XII though?

thanks
Mike
jowady
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
AeroScale: 131 posts
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2009 - 01:44 PM UTC
I have an Airfix MkI, its a cute little kit. If you want you can update the cocpit, and I have to say that unlike some kits, it really looks like a Spit. The wing shape is one of the better elliptical wings that I have seen in any scale. And its dirt cheap to boot!

John
MikeMx
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2009 - 08:48 AM UTC
The airfix mk1 is good for it's age but I want something with recessed panel lines - the cockpit detail is not a priority. The ideal kits I've found so far are by academy. I have built the Typhoon and have several others to build. I think they are nice simple kits and fun to build as well as inexpensive but with a good level of detail.
If anyone wants to see real Spitfires, I would recommend the Warbirds show at Duxford in July. I can't make it this year but I've been a few times before. Last time I went there was 9 Spitfires in the air together - the griffon ones are awesome! I would still love some input on the xtrakit Mk VII.

thanks
Mike
B24Liberator
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 134 posts
AeroScale: 113 posts
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2009 - 12:36 AM UTC

Hello Michael -

To answer your question regarding the Xtrakit 's version of the Mk XII. I've seen it, though not bought it. It's probably the best version of it out there right now. As you are probably well aware, not many were built - hence the status of limited run.
Doolie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6 posts
AeroScale: 5 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 04:15 AM UTC
I haven't built the Xtrakit Mk XII yet, though it looks ok in the box, be aware that it is in fact molded by Sword, so I don't know how quick and easy a build it will be.
Try this article, it may help:

http://spitfiresite.com/hobbies/modelling/2008/01/building-xtrakit-spitfire-mk-xii-01.htm
 _GOTOTOP