_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
Questions on Skyraider cockpits.
LongKnife
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jönköping, Sweden
KitMaker: 831 posts
AeroScale: 688 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2009 - 09:51 PM UTC
A while ago somebody proposed a target tug campaign. Now I read an article in a Swedish classic motor magazine about a "little old lady" flying a AD4W Skyraider, towing for the Swaf. I'm a bit puzzled by the cockpit canopy and the shape rearwards though.

It looks a bit like the back of the fourseater, but its slimmer, and has a one-woman cockpit. Does anybody know if this was a standard type cockpit, or if it was a customization for the purpose? Even more important is the question if this is possible to find in 1:48, because I'd like a shelf of beasts flown by "little old ladies"!

Tony
DonSS3
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 92 posts
AeroScale: 91 posts
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2009 - 03:54 AM UTC
What you're seeing is your basic AD-4W without the huge APS-20 radar dome on the belly and some extra windows added (aft of the fuselage hatches) for viewing of the towed target. The operational aircraft used a 3-man crew. The pilot up front and a (very) cramped compartment aft for two RADAR operators.

Here's some more pics of "your" aircraft:

http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?regsearch=SE-EBL&distinct_entry=true

Here's an operational aircraft:

http://vietnam.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/images/a1skyraider-v004.jpg

LongKnife
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jönköping, Sweden
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2009 - 04:25 AM UTC
Thanks a lot for that Don. I have googled desperately after comments on the type of these birds (I think we bought a total of eight), but I guess the Spad is the single-prop I know the least about, and then it's not all that easy. Anyway, I have a pic of the lady, showing the planes registration, so now I hope will do fine, given I find a suitable model to work with.

I can't even imagine though, how life would have been in the rear pit of this one, if the bubble windows were an "extra" for the towing job. I know for sure I would have puked after the first turn .

Tony
DonSS3
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 02:59 AM UTC
Tony, I wouldn't have wanted to be crammed in there either. You just know that the air conditioner probably never kept it cool enough!

I think at one time ESCI had a release of their AD-4W that came with the Swedish target tug markings, although I don't know if it came with any of the target tug equipment.

chris1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 949 posts
AeroScale: 493 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 08:47 AM UTC
Hi Tony
Doesn't Revell do a 1/72nd scale kit of this version?
I thought I saw one in a local hobbyshop as a recent release.

Do't quote though I have been known to be wrong.

Chris
LongKnife
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jönköping, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 06:36 PM UTC
Hi guys. I've seen traces of the Esci on E-bay, but thought it was a mistunderstanding. Who would make a model of such an oddity. Now I guess I have to follow up that a bit deeper. I guess a AD4 in 72 equals a Bf 109 in 48, but now I'm a 48-man, so i will have to allow it to steal a lot of space.

Tony
DonSS3
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 30, 2009 - 01:34 AM UTC
I don't think Revell did this version. Maybe you're thinking of their AD-5/A-1E which is the old Monogram kit. Matchbox did the AD-5/A-1E in 1/48th, but I'm not sure if Revell has reissued that or not.

_GOTOTOP