_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Problems with decals
Recce_Guy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 110 posts
AeroScale: 34 posts
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2009 - 08:22 AM UTC
Hello All,

I have been having some problems with my decals on a hasegawa 1/48 Hurricane. I am using Micro set and Micro Sol to help set them and snug them around the panel lines. I also sprayed on some future for the gloss coat.

The roundels are where I am having the problems. I put on the mirco set then the decal and then the miroc sol. It did the standard wrinkle and shrivel into place. However, they did not totally flatten out after they dried off. I added a few more applications of Micro Sol and they still have a few creases and wrinkles in them . It has been a couple of days now and they have no sign of going away!

This is very noticable and it has never happened to me when I have used them on armour. This only happened with the roundels and tail insignia. All other markings worked great.

Does anyone know what is going on with these and what I can do to either remedy the problem or stop it from happening again?

Thanks,

Cam
philo426
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 88 posts
AeroScale: 82 posts
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2009 - 09:49 AM UTC
First ,it is important to let the Future cure at least 2-3 days before decal appplication.Then you add Microset and then Microsol a few hours after the initial application of Micoset.I use a smaller brush to apply the Micosol so that too much is not deposited on the decal.I don't know why repeated application of micosol did not flatten out the crease.Perhaps if you carefully slice the decal to allow the Microsol to get under the decal it may solve te problem.Here are a couple pics (My 1/72 Beech C-45). Here is the pic of the tail flash of the Beech C-45.I had to apply several coats of Micosol to get it to conform to the vertical stabilizers but they snuggled down great.
Recce_Guy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Manitoba, Canada
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2009 - 10:02 AM UTC
Thanks for the reply.

I sprayed on the future on Friday and then applied the decals on Sunday night. I applied the Microsol right after I dried the decal so maybe that is the problem.

Would the shape of the decal have anything to do with this problem? All the square or rectangle decals went on fine but the roundels are where the problem was.

Thanks,

Cam
philo426
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 88 posts
AeroScale: 82 posts
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2009 - 10:50 AM UTC
No the shape should not make a difference, Can you post a pic of the creased decal so we know what's going on?Sounds like you waited an adequete time. Could just be a bad decal!
jowady
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
AeroScale: 131 posts
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2009 - 02:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Sounds like you waited an adequete time. Could just be a bad decal!

I would concur. Of course the beauty of it being a Hurri is that there are plenty of aftermarket options for decals.
Recce_Guy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Manitoba, Canada
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2009 - 03:41 PM UTC
I think that iw was a bad decal as well, but it happened to all the roundels and none of the square or recatuglar decals that came with the sheet.

This kit had a major accident so it turned into a practice model and I didn't was to use my aftermarket decals on it. I was planning on doing a Hurricane flown by Sqn Comd Tuck in the BoB. I will save the decals for the next one.
 _GOTOTOP