_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
NEWS
Halberstadt CL II
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2009 - 08:53 AM UTC

Modelimex have released shots of the Mirage Hobby 1:48 CL II which is in stock now. I''ve got my order straight in for this beauty!

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2009 - 08:14 PM UTC
Hi again

Here's an update from Petr at Modelimex:

" About Halberstadt - we have information from our customers that on Toy Fair 2009 in Nuernberg Mirage Hobby showed this model with lozenge decals and woodgrain included to this kit, unfortunately these decals are not present in the model now. I have asked Mirage Hobby if it is only a mistake or what happened to them since February.... so we will see what happens."

Perhaps Stephen's contacts can shed some light on what's happened?

All the best

Rowan
Kitboy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Gelderland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 258 posts
AeroScale: 256 posts
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2009 - 09:49 PM UTC
Well,

I was one of those customers. I gave Petr the link of the Nürnberg pictures. Petr reacted very very quickly and is going to contact Mirage Hobby.

I wonder what turns out.

Cheers, Nico
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2009 - 04:13 AM UTC
It was a while back now that the price was set at 109 , now with the price set at 38 . This could be why there is no said decals in the kit . Either way the kit will still be worth getting .
Curious now on why no lozenge or woodgrian decals are nolonger in the kit !
Mecenas
KitMaker: 1,596 posts
AeroScale: 1,275 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2009 - 06:32 AM UTC
Have you already seen this?

or this?

Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2009 - 09:27 AM UTC
Hi Nico

It's a small world! It's great to read that Petr got on the case so quickly and I'm delighted my thread has unwittingly highlighted his attention to his customers.

Michal - I hadn't seen those boxtops before. It all looks really exciting! I've been crying out for more mainstream kits of 1:48 German 2-seaters for ages, so I think Mirage have made a fantastic choice to step into the WW1 market with.

All the best

Rowan
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2009 - 09:53 AM UTC
Hi again

Hot off the Net and thanks to Petr, here's Mirage Hobby's reply to questions:

"Hi Petr,

About Decals of Lozenge and Woodgrain.

The cost of production of them is too high for including them to one box with a kit. The price would be very high.
We decide to sell them separately

Lozenge is needed to our first version of Halberstadt - nr. 481306 and it will be availble on the market in 2-3 weeks (we are testing them in printing now)

Details:
Halberstadt CL.II & CL.IV
Lozenge - daylight 5 color pattern.
size: 4 sheets decals
no cat.: D0002

About Woodgrain-Decal:
This decal is needed to our next version of Halberstadt no. 481307 (Bayerische Flugzeug Werke) Halb. CL II, Polish-Russian War
This decals will also be sold separately

Of course on photos from Nuernberg we could see our full range of products according to our new line of WW1.
Your customer could not know about it, because on the site there is nowhere Mirage's authorized information about these products, so he could conclude only from photos of some photographer. I hope, you understand our status on this matter.
"

Disappointing, and undoubtedly not the news we wanted to hear, but the kit does still look a stunner.

All the best

Rowan
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2009 - 10:51 AM UTC
I have been in touch with Peter on this subject. Something is up in the lozenge arena. As if their European supplier just kicked up his price.
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 - 08:38 AM UTC
Hi again

Unfortunately, it does seem to be the case that we saw pics all the items lumped together on the stand at Nürnburg and made the logical assumption that they were all part of the kit. It's just a shame that the misapprehension was allowed to persist for so long.

Anyway, my kit's on the way from Modelimex. I can can hardly wait!

All the best

Rowan
Kitboy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Gelderland, Netherlands
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 - 10:20 PM UTC
The good thing is (well at least for me) when ordered form Modelmix you won't have to wait so long!

One other thing about this kit. I really have been scratching my head, about how to apply those decals on the fuselage. It more or less should all be in one piece. Anyone got suggestions by now?

Cheers, Nico
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 03:37 AM UTC
I hope to be ordering this kit soon , one I don't want to miss out on . The bluemax kit is good but this one is like the icing on the cake ! Sad though about the decals , but can still be order which is always a plus .

Nico , nice to see you again ! The srcubble decals would be in one piece for the center in top wing and fuselage to what I have seen in pic's and in books .
Kitboy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Gelderland, Netherlands
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 09:14 AM UTC
Hello,

Knowing where they should be is not my problem, but how to get 'm there. Which is not problem for the topwing, but around th fuselage ~

Cheers, Nico
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 10:43 AM UTC
I really think I will need to make some room for at least one of these kits in my display. This looks like a really really cool kit with any of the decal options.

Does anybody remember how Eduard became a mainstream manufacturer? Supplying a few really neat offerings. Are we seeing the birth of something great?
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2009 - 04:33 AM UTC
Hi Nico , I see what you mean and you have got me thinking now on how to do this . Since this would have carried over curves on the rear decking using one cut out will not work to well and the decal will have to be cut into sections .

I guess how I would start with it is doing the top decking first with a little over lap followed with the side pieces with the over lapping one should be able to line up the pattern pretty close . The side pieces of decals would have the same over lap but on the bottom of the fuselage with the bottom piece being cut to shape . Not saying that this is the way to do it , but it's where I would try and start first .
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2009 - 08:38 AM UTC
Hi again

My kit arrived today from Modelimex and first impressions are... it's STUNNING!

A touch of flash here and there, but otherwise really nice high pressure moulding. Great detail throughout. A large etched brass fret with seat harnesses, cooling jackets etc. Moulded jigs are supplied for the wings and printed templates for the undercarriage struts. The instructions are colour CAD illustrations and also packed with B&W and colour reference photos.

I've got to work on some other reviews first, but I'll try to get a proper First Look done this week, prior to Stephen going to town on the model.

I'm building a WW2 kit for a UK magazine, so I must NOT get distracted and start anything else, but looking at this beauty.... Aaaaghh! The temptation!

All the best

Rowan
 _GOTOTOP