_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
will mask lift future?
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 - 04:26 PM UTC
this is actually a two part question.
question A:will mask lift future? as i just began using it.
question B:after weathering my P-51D should i gloss or flat finish it? as i just began getting into the aircraft aspect of the hobby and the modern airplanes i have done were all flat finishes?
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 - 07:01 PM UTC
Hi Justin,

A - No. To the contrary, Future will protect the paint (by the way, what kind of paint are you using?). I always protect my paintjob with Future (Klir in France) before masking. It also helps to avoid the silvering of the decals.

B - This is a matter of personal taste. While I would avoid a glossy finish in any case on a WWII aircraft (unless you have a reference photo showing the contrary), I would say a satin/flat finish is the best but some prefer a dead flat finish. I use a mix of Klir with Tamiya Flat Base (X-21) for my models:
- 100% Klir = Gloss
- 90% Klir + 10% Flat Base = Satin
- 80% Klir + 20% Flat Base = Flat

It is important to always test the mixture before applying it to the model. It is also important to stir up the mixture because after a while, the flat base remains at the bottom of the container. If you add too much Flat Base, the finish will be "milky" which is not very nice...

Jean-Luc
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 01:42 PM UTC
thank you and i am using tamiya acrylic's ive tried masking w/out future and the paint lifts w/the mask causing frustration will future stop this?
KiwiSteve
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 3 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 06:58 PM UTC
What sort of masking tape are you using justin?? If its Tamiya tape some times you need to place the tape onto the palm of your hand and peel it off a few times to cut down the tackyness of the tape or you could try some of this guys blue low tack tape http://www.jammydog.com/ he also sells on ebay and you can get quite good deals as well.
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 08:37 PM UTC
One other thing to consider, is the surface under the paint and or Future/Klir/Klear clean? the slightest grease from fingers, moulding agents etc will prevent paint adhering properly.

I know as I'm one of the worst sinners for this myself. But as Steve says...reduce the stickiness of the tape and I do recommend Tamiya's product...I scoffed myself when told but experience shows it is very good but I would suggest not using it as it comes but cutting a fresh edge to mask with

hope this helps

Keith
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2009 - 12:25 AM UTC
tried masking on future and it worked perfect thanks guys for the info im learning alot that i did not before know and its giving really good results
 _GOTOTOP