_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
Disclouring of gloss white enamel
FrankV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 - 06:38 PM UTC
I have recently resumed building model airliners. I have noticed on more than one occasion the enamel paint seems to be off-white once on the model. At first I thought it was the brand (Testors, Humbrol). Then I tried flat white sanded smooth with 1000/2000 and coated in Future. Still same effect, namely a slight yellowish hue, as though the model was 70 years old.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Frank
MrMox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 3,377 posts
AeroScale: 115 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 - 07:19 PM UTC
Oilbased whites gets a yellow hue over time, you can observe the same effect on furniture or doors that have a white oilbased finish.

When i Paint woodwork in my hous white, i allways begin with a oilbased white for the strenght but finish with a waterbased paint for the long term effect on the paint.

The same would propably work for models.

Cheers/jan
Phil_H
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 546 posts
AeroScale: 23 posts
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2009 - 06:51 PM UTC
If you let a jar of enamel paint stand long enough for the pigments to settle, you will usually see that the thinner on top of the paint is a brownish colour.

It's not something I do myself, because I paint with acrylics, but I believe that some people add the slightest trace of blue to white enamels to counter the yellowing effect of the thinner/carrier.

It should be just a slight trace, not enough to turn the wite blue (it should not be visibly blue).

Tread carefully - it calls for a little experimentation to get it right.
Bigskip
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,487 posts
AeroScale: 575 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 30, 2009 - 05:36 AM UTC
I spray with Halfords Gloss Appliance White, this does not yellow with age.

Halfords is a UK Based automotive accessory store, i'm sure there is something the same on your sidee of the pond.

HTH

Andy
 _GOTOTOP