_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
1/32 Revell tigermoth kit question...floats?
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
AeroScale: 289 posts
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2009 - 04:22 PM UTC
HI folks, I needed a brother for my new to me 1/32 Entex willow float plane, so I bought the new release revell DH tigermoth kit becasue I had heard it was capable of being a float plane...here's the problem, the instructions show the floats as "not needed".
My question is,
-is everything there to make her a float plane...I see the floats, but I'm talking all the struts and stuff.
- does anyone have an older release that shows the float build, and can I have a scan of that section please...or a breakdown here of what's involved {parts and locations}...
Thanks in advance-
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2009 - 05:00 PM UTC
I haven't seen the Revell version in the flesh, but i believe it is a straight reissue of the old Matchbox kit- which was one of their best kits ever in my opinion. If the floats are there then i doubt if Revell have deleted the other necessary parts for a float version. Hopefully someone else that has the kit can confirm that for sure.

You probably need to find someone that still has the old Matchbox instructions to make a scan for you. Unfortunately i threw mine out about 25 years ago.

Andrew
modelhound
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 57 posts
AeroScale: 56 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 03, 2009 - 09:19 AM UTC
Hello All,

I have both versions of this model and I see that the Revell Germany TigerMoth kit is exactly the same as the original Matchbox issue, except for the color of the plastic used and the decals.

My scanner is belly up for now so I can't send a copy of the instructions.

old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, June 05, 2009 - 03:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello All,

I have both versions of this model and I see that the Revell Germany TigerMoth kit is exactly the same as the original Matchbox issue, except for the color of the plastic used and the decals.

My scanner is belly up for now so I can't send a copy of the instructions.

Mike in Bellingham, WA USA

"No man is so hated as he who will drive the speed limit."

Can you provide Part number/locations for us?...there may be others who wish to build the floatplane version of the newer kit.
On page 5 of the newer kit instructions is the tree layout and in the lower left is the float pieces tree...the unused float pieces don't have part numbers{thanks revell} but they are shown. Can you tell us, per the old instructions, what part is what number and where it goes...the 4 main float pieces are a given, it's the two cross pieces that bridge the floats and the 6 struts{4 up front and two in back} that are in question.
Also, the locations of said upper struts{float to fuse} would be helpful too...I think we can do this with out a scanner, but if you have a digi cam and can post a pic{s} you wouldn't need the scanner!........what ever is easier for you sir. Thanks for the help so far!
modelhound
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, June 05, 2009 - 05:51 PM UTC
While I wait for that piece of crap Kodak ESP3 all in one printer, scanner, blah, blah, blah to be returned from the Kodak repair facility, again, I have some links to photobucket of the pertnint pictures of instruction pages that pertain to the float version of the Matchbox 1/32 Tiger Moth. Whew :^)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/picker/ScannedPicture1.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/picker/ScannedPicture2.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/picker/ScannedPicture3.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/picker/ScannedPicture4.jpg

Also note that you must cut off the botom of the tail skid, part #70,
leaving the spring and bracket intact.

Hope this helps, eh?

old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 06, 2009 - 11:47 AM UTC
Thank you Mike!
From what I can see from your 1st two pics, the needed parts for the re-released/current kit is as follows;
-Of the blacked out items on the float parts tree, the two long struts under #45 are #44{x2} and they are the inner cross struts to both floats.
-On that tree as well, you'll need the two smaller struts directly under part #39, and those will be parts #38 and #37...they are for the rear braces for the floats. The other two skinny struts under those seem totally un-needed.
The other two needed pieces are lists and numbered and they're located on the fuse tree as parts #2 and #3 and they are the front braces for the floats.

...shy of the old kit's decals, the floats are easily doable...thanks again mike for the help!!!!
modelhound
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, June 09, 2009 - 08:34 AM UTC
Bob,

You need to note as shown on picture #3, use the skinny (metal) wing struts, parts #28 and #30.

Also, as shown in picture #4, use the tailplanes extension with strakes, part #8.
 _GOTOTOP