_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
U-2 and the SR-71.........
Spades
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 776 posts
AeroScale: 30 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 03, 2009 - 06:15 AM UTC
Heres my question in regards to both of these great planes.

Why is the U2 still in use today, even though it is older and a slower plane, while, the SR-71 was a state of the art plane. We all understand the cost issue in regards to the 71, but compared to the threats out thier now, technology wise. Wouldnt it had been better to keep the 71 in operational status ??

Answers anyone ?
DonSS3
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 92 posts
AeroScale: 91 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2009 - 11:22 AM UTC
IMHO it was purely an economic decision. It doesn't matter what needs the military community has, it still comes down to money.

mvfrog
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 369 posts
AeroScale: 104 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2009 - 12:56 PM UTC
To answer the question about the SR-71, do some research on "Aurora." It is reputed to be the next quantum leap after the Blackbird. Jane's has documented sightings of the ship. It is rumoured to be an air breather, with an exotic fuel system, operates in and above the atmosphere, faster than the SR-71, and far advanced technology-wise. It is also reportedly capable of being air-launched from a C-5. This is not a figment of my rich imagination, but what I have been able to glean from many sources (including military sources). Do some research, though; it's out there. See what you can find. It's very interesting. The Aurora has (supposedly) been around for at least 20 years. It is a very black project.

Unless I am mistaken, some of the U-2's are still in business with NASA. Some 'rams horn' versions used to fly out of Moffett Field (Ames Research) near my home. Also, several other configurations went out of here and Ames Dryden in Southern California. At one time they were doing a lot of research on Clear Air Turbulence in and around the Sierras.

Hope this helps a bit. This is an interesting topic, though, and lots of information in many different places. Share it when you find something.

Thanks,
Matt
pigsty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,226 posts
AeroScale: 640 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2009 - 09:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

IMHO it was purely an economic decision. It doesn't matter what needs the military community has, it still comes down to money.

That will be because the mililtary works for the nation, not the other way round.
sneakypete
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Armed Forces Pacific, United States
KitMaker: 149 posts
AeroScale: 49 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 - 07:32 AM UTC
U-2 is still in use in the Active Air Force. They are stationed at Osan in Korea and in use in Iraq, althought I don't know where they fly out of.

Dan
eerie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,008 posts
AeroScale: 106 posts
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2009 - 05:06 AM UTC
Diego Garcia.
woltersk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 1,026 posts
AeroScale: 215 posts
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2009 - 06:30 AM UTC
Isn't it also true that the U2 or TR1 is more versatile, being able to adapt to changing mission requirements as things develop. They are more 'tactical' than the 'strategic' SR-71 which had to stick to a strict flight plan. This tactical versatility works better when flying The War On Terror type missions.

There may be some validity to the whole Aurora myth. The military usully doesn't retire a system until it's replacement has been fielded. The brief period where the SR's were returned to service may have been to help quell the Aurora stories and keep it a 'black program.'
russamotto
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
AeroScale: 375 posts
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2009 - 07:47 AM UTC
I was told by a guy who claimed to know that modern satellite technology is the reason the SR-71 is no longer used. If closer photos are needed the U2 was more economical and versatile. He also added that whenever anything is retired it is because it has been replaced with something better.
mvfrog
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 369 posts
AeroScale: 104 posts
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2009 - 07:48 AM UTC
The Aurora is not a 'myth.' The people from Jane's have seen it. I believe the location was in or around off shore oil rigs in the Persian Gulf in the early '90's.
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2009 - 08:16 AM UTC
Satellites do a damned fine job now, and have nearly continuous coverage. Could be Aurora is a reality too.

The SR-71 was an awesome plane, but cost a lot to use. I'd also bet that, given the operating conditions and materials, the airframes fatigued quite quickly and were becoming unsafe. High heat makes for much faster material fatiguing.
youngtiger1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 534 posts
AeroScale: 47 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2009 - 03:46 PM UTC
I have a good friend who flew the SR in her glory days and what he told me is that the reason SR-71 in no longer in service is due to budget cuts. Not because of Satellites or Aurora. They thought Sat. could do the job but they found out quick in the first Gulf War that's not true.

As for U-2, well, it's to operate! I'm sure the government is working on something else. It could a Aurora or some other UFO but SR-71 was and still is the worlds fastest air breathing jet. Not to mention the sexiest

Mike
BROCKUPPERCUT
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 191 posts
AeroScale: 9 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 03, 2009 - 08:42 AM UTC
if it was up to me i would have also kept the U-2 instead of the SR-71 just for the simple fact that the SR leaked fuel until the skin of the plane heated up enough to close the joints between panels , but that is just me
NormSon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 181 posts
AeroScale: 18 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 03, 2009 - 09:24 AM UTC
There are a number of reasons for the Blackbird to be out of service, but cost is surely number one. The airframes weren't worn out (the Ti actually got stronger with age & heat), but they were out of engines. To keep them flying would require not only the maintenance of the birds themselves, but the ground crews and support equipment at numerous locations, the special fuel and refueling tankers & their crews, plus any new updates to the equipment on board (very expensive due to heat requirements, meaning any common equipment could not easily be installed), and training new personel. Finally, it was 50 year old technology. It's not as good as it used to be; new missles could find it, catch it, and kill it.
It was never popular with the Air Force brass, which only got worse with fame and recent politics.
As far as replacements, the U-2 is much more versatile due to its altitude, speed, and maintenance requirements. And we now have RPV's, which are cheaper, safer, and can be literally put on a hot spot in minutes by crews in the field. These send info in real-time (the SR's had to land & process their information).
Do a wikipedia search, as there is lots of good info out there.
I still wish I had seen one fly, though.....................
 _GOTOTOP