_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
FEATURE
Lavotchkin La-5 FN
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Friday, June 05, 2009 - 07:32 PM UTC

Lars-Owe Paetzold (ButcherBird) has sent us a detailed build report of Zvezda's 1/48 scale Lavochkin La-5 FN kit. In the article, you will see that "out of the box" has a different meaning in Germany!

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Friday, June 05, 2009 - 10:50 PM UTC
Very nice Model!!

the following is just because I did not find a single nitpick just gorgeous!!!

Again a hint re names ... please decide how you want to write it. In Russia it is quite common to write the family name first (there was a time when it was also quite common in Germany) .. if you mix it it can be quite confusing. You write V.I.Popkov (i.e. Vitalii Ivanovich Popkov) but Kramarenko Sergey Makarovich. First name , fathers name and family name in the first instance but putting the family name in front in the 2nd example.

all the best

Steffen
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Saturday, June 06, 2009 - 12:40 AM UTC
Hi Steffen,

Thanks for the hint about the names. In fact it's not the fault of Lars but mine because, as a Frenchman, I've translated the article from German to English. With russian names included in the article, you can imagine what a mess it can be...

So is this right now?
1. "White 01" of the 5th Guard Fighter Regiment, 1st Ukrainian Front, flown by Capt. V.I. Popkov.
2. "White 68", 1st Regiment, with a spectacular lion's head on the cowling, again often attributed to Popkov.
3. "White 25", 19th Fighter Regiment, with a red cowling and white tail, flown by 2nd Lt. Sergey Makarovich Kramarenko.

By the way, I've cut and pasted the above descriptions from Rowan's review of the La-5 FN kit... so, in true it is his fault!

Jean-Luc
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 06, 2009 - 01:08 AM UTC
hi Jean-Luc

Well, you know, I am German and I like things to be in order (no matter what order that is). I do not call this an error or mistake it is just "out of order" IMO. Calling names and pointing fingers is also not my cup of tea ....

Thanks for all the work you put into the site!!

all the best

Steffen
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Saturday, June 06, 2009 - 01:30 AM UTC
Hi again Steffen,

No problem. It is now... in order.

Jean-luc
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 07, 2009 - 03:11 AM UTC
Great build, Lars-Owe. You did a really good job on it. This seems to be a bargain of a kit. It might go into my shopping basket next time.

Regarding the engine I am a little unsure on how much was scratchbuild by you and how much was included in the kit. Since the scratchbuild plastic and the kit plastic is the same colour it is difficult for me to see. Except for the rear of the engine which cannot be seen on the finished model(?) and the wiring the rest is included in the kit? The exhausts look like they could be streched sprue, but I am not sure?

EDIT: I checked out Rowans review and was actually able to see most of the engine parts on the sprue pictures, so I found the answers myself. Looks like the engine will look good straight from the box. Thanks for the good review, Rowan.

This kit could look excellent next to a Fw 190 from the same period. Diorama possibilities spring to mind....

Thanks for sharing
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 07, 2009 - 07:29 PM UTC
Hi Lars-Owe

Beautiful work! I've got to build one of these beauties myself for a UK magazine and I'll be delighted if mine turns out looking so good.

I especially like the added engine detail. I've ordered a resin engine, but it doesn't look like arriving in time, so I'll be following your example. I didn't notice the missing cockpit parts when I wrote the review (the mounts are there, so it really does look as though Zvezda simply forgot them), but I've checked and they are present and correct in the new "razorback" La-5.

All the best

Rowan
ButcherBird
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hessen, Germany
KitMaker: 9 posts
AeroScale: 8 posts
Posted: Friday, June 12, 2009 - 06:50 AM UTC
First of all, I want to thank Jean-Luc for placing my new article. He had a lot of work.

@Jesper: I only modified the backside of the engine by adding a plug wire and air intake. I've just used the styrene parts of the kit.

@Rowan: The La-5 is always high on my wish list!

Lars
erwin_rommel
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Brest, Belarus
KitMaker: 105 posts
AeroScale: 76 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2009 - 07:12 AM UTC
here is another Popkov

http://dishmodels.ru/gshow.htm?p=5647&lng=E
 _GOTOTOP