Hosted by Rowan Baylis
P47 Questions
MikeMx
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 649 posts
AeroScale: 434 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 06, 2009 - 04:44 AM UTC
First of all apologies if these questions have already been asked and also I didn't seem to get an option to add this to the P47 thread.
I have 2 academy P47 kits - 1 in 1/72 and 1 in 1/48. The instructions in the 1/72 kit call for Medium Green (FS34092) on the upper surfaces - Is this correct or should it be in Olive Drab? The plane is from the 84th fighter squadron, 78th fighter group based in Duxford autumn 1944.
For the 1/48 kit, I would like to do this as MX-X (no guts, no glory) also from the 78th figther group at Duxford. Does anyone know an aftermarket decal set for this? Also are there any aftermarket detail sets for the academy 1.48 P47D? In particular showing gun bay details.

thanks
Mike
russamotto
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
AeroScale: 375 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 06, 2009 - 07:13 AM UTC
Nige (Lampie) would be the best one to answer the paint color question. As to aftermarket decals, there are several companies that offer them. Cybermodeler.com has a pretty good selection listed in their reviews section, under decals. Aeroscale is the first that comes to mind but there are others. There are several companies that make aftermarket specifically for the Academy P47. You can try Lucky Model to see some. In the search bar, type in P-47 and put the scale at 1/48 and it will bring up a list of kits and accessories. Gun bays, cockpit and super detailed engine kits. I am not as familiar with the other vendor sites but I am sure they have similar items.
MikeMx
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, June 06, 2009 - 07:49 AM UTC
Thanks - I'll check that out.
As a further question - would planes from the 78th fighter group have carried the bombs and rockets when based at Duxford?

thanks
Mike
rdriscoll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 180 posts
AeroScale: 50 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 06, 2009 - 09:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nige (Lampie) would be the best one to answer the paint color question. As to aftermarket decals, there are several companies that offer them. Cybermodeler.com has a pretty good selection listed in their reviews section, under decals. Aeroscale is the first that comes to mind but there are others. There are several companies that make aftermarket specifically for the Academy P47. You can try Lucky Model to see some. In the search bar, type in P-47 and put the scale at 1/48 and it will bring up a list of kits and accessories. Gun bays, cockpit and super detailed engine kits. I am not as familiar with the other vendor sites but I am sure they have similar items.

I agree. There is a Aeroscale P-47 Special Interest Group that you should pose your question to:
http://p47.kitmaker.net/news/4464
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 07, 2009 - 02:22 AM UTC
Hi Mike.
As you may have read in the P-47 thread it has now become its own website within the Kitmaker/Aeroscale network.For this reason the original thread has been locked.
Heres a hotlink to the new site.
P-47 Special Interest Group
The "bubbletop" P-47s were delivered to the 78th FG in nmf and any that were painted were painted infield.
Many of the Duxford ones were painted in a darker green than Olive drab, most probably RAF Dark Green. Some of them were painted in a light grey underneath, which was possibly light or medium sea grey, and just to complicate things even more some of the undersides were painted in RAF Sky.
While the 78th P-47's were fitted with the underwing pylons, its not very often you see them fitted with bombs, although I'm sure they would have been carried on some missions.
I'm away from my main reference library for another month as I'm away working but I'll look into it when I get home. Most photos of 78th FG aircraft have the pylons empty.
The rocket tubes were only used for a very short time by 8th USAAF P-47's, around August 1944.
Hope this helps, and if you need any more info feel free to ask.
Enjoy the P-47 website
Nige
MikeMx
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, June 07, 2009 - 11:09 AM UTC
Thanks for the info. Am I able to post on the P47 SIG, or do I have to register for that? I will order some green paint now and I will leave the weapons off until more info is available

thanks
Mike
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 07, 2009 - 11:26 AM UTC
Hi Mike.
Your login works for all the sites within the Kitmaker Network.
All the best
Nige
 _GOTOTOP