_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
OBITUARY
David Maynard (Drader)
jimbrae
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
AeroScale: 291 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 09, 2009 - 06:14 AM UTC
I've just heard the very sad news of the death of one of the stalwarts on this and several other sites - David Maynard (Callsign Drader).

David, for those who encountered him, was notable for his remarkable knowledge of many different subjects and a particularly dry sense of humor.

I had a lot of contact with David over the years and it's an understatement to say he's going to be missed.

All our thoughts are with David's family at this time.

This is David's personal Bio:

About Drader
From south Wales originally, I became an archaeologist by chance and have continued being one for about 20 years. Which is a lot of mud shifted. The nursing home where I was born is now part of the Celtic Manor and, by a nice bit of irony, I did the archaeology for several of their golf courses. I have managed to escape being on Time Team, when they came to Essex I went to work in France until it was safe to return. I now live on the edge of Chelmsford. Spend most of the time in the office now, doing all the stuff Time Team never shows (and surfing Armorama). Been modelling since before 1970 (not exactly sure when I started) and have been building AFVs almost as long. I like to think that I began at the beginning with the Airfix WW1 tank, but that may just be wishful thinking. Interests as far as armour goes are basically anything not WW2 German.

David Maynard (Drader) 1962-2009
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 09, 2009 - 06:43 AM UTC
This is a very sad news,

Mes sincères condoléances à la famille...

Jean-Luc
james84
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Roma, Italy
KitMaker: 1,368 posts
AeroScale: 377 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 09, 2009 - 07:53 AM UTC
RIP
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 09, 2009 - 08:47 AM UTC
Very sad news indeed. My condolences go out to David's family and all his friends.

Rowan
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 09, 2009 - 09:19 AM UTC
Blue Skies David. My sincere respects to his family and close friends.

Stephen T. Lawson.
jimbrae
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
AeroScale: 291 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 12:45 AM UTC
I've just had this e-mail from David's brother, Richard and it seems like an appropriate way to thank all of you for your thoughts and tributes:

Quoted Text

Hi Jim,
Sorry to have to get in touch with you this way, I am Richard Maynard, David's brother. Just a quick note to thank you for the obituaries you have posted regarding the sad death of my brother - to say we are overwhelmed by the responses would be an understatement, and it is difficult to read the comments without a catch in the throat and tears welling in the eyes. We all would like to thank those who have posted their remembrances of David. I have considered registering myself on all the sites we can find his footprints on, but I last modelled many years ago (probably could not compete with David), and don't know if an account for this purpose would be a waste of server space... We know about him on Armorama, Military Modelling, missing lynx and airfix, any others gratefully appreciated, along with what his user name was and contact details for any relevant mods.
Regarding his accounts, we would like his posts to stand in case they can help others in the future, and new people can find the remarkable human being who was my brother

_GOTOTOP