_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
raised panal lines?
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 11:33 AM UTC
had a gift card for craft shop only models they had were from revell (not my first choice)so i bought the 1/48 a-10.goy it home opened the box and BAM a whole slew of raised panal lines as i have never worked with these my question is will it affect the out come w/weathering and the over all finish?thinking of just scrapping the model and moving on.
HK_AFV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 454 posts
AeroScale: 12 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 03:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

had a gift card for craft shop only models they had were from revell (not my first choice)so i bought the 1/48 a-10.goy it home opened the box and BAM a whole slew of raised panal lines as i have never worked with these my question is will it affect the out come w/weathering and the over all finish?thinking of just scrapping the model and moving on.

Have you considered re-scribbing all the panel lines? It is a lot of work and takes some time. If not, move on to other kits with recessed panel lines instead. - Paul
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 03:17 PM UTC
thank you i figured crap oh well
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 04:01 PM UTC
I've done many raised panel line kits using a wash, not all that hard and looked great afterwards. Here's what I did...

1) after painting and decaling, clear coated using future floor wax or you own favorite clear coat. Let it dry.

2) Use a oil wash, color depends on base coat. Say my A-10 was painted gray, then I'd use a dark gray oil was.

2a) Oil wash on the back side of panel lines, what I mean is on the back side towards the tail. Let dry at least 24 hours. Then I'll use Q-tips...swip in the direction of flight...go lightly so you just cleaning up around panel line BUT leaving enough on the panel line.

3) Once finished again clear coat followed by a dull coat. With a little caution and care your project will turn out just fine.

Happy Modeling,
Joe
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 12:07 AM UTC
ok thanks
stonar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 337 posts
AeroScale: 309 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 12:24 AM UTC
What Joe said - I run the wash down the back of the raised lines using a fine brush. End result can look just as good as recessed lines.
Steve
 _GOTOTOP