_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
EA-6 Prowler in 1/48 Monogram vs Airfix
Czarny
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Krakow, Poland
KitMaker: 68 posts
AeroScale: 62 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 13, 2009 - 06:24 AM UTC
He guys!

Anybody of you have made Airfix EA-6 Prowler in 1/48? Tell me what's the difference between this model and Monogram?
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 13, 2009 - 03:44 PM UTC
Both kits (Airfix & Monogram) have their downfalls. The Airfix overall shape is an ICAP I or earlier Prowler. The cockpit is totally weak in detail. The way it’s laid out will take some time and effort getting in a resin pit. The worst area are the engine intakes, wheel wells suffer in detail and the worst problem is the fit, be prepared spending time if filling and sanding.

The upside of the Airfix kit is that it’s ECM pods are better than the Monogram as is the wing fold mechanism.

The Monogram is a better kit, there are many aftermarket set out to correct and up grade this kit. Overall fit is great. The Monogram Prowler suffers in many areas…Monogram retooled the kit from the A-6 and EA-6A kits to create this version. Monogram carried over the armor plating found on the Revell A-6 Intruder and used their wings from the 1/48th A-6 Intruder kit.

In all the Monogram/Revell kits are better and the Prowler kit can be found as it was re-released some months back, and the Intruder is also being released over the summer months.

I only scratched the surface here, and out of the box both kits can be built into a Prowler. But if your up for a challenge get the Monogram and the aftermarket sets and build yourself a great Prowler.

If you need any help feel free to PM me with your questions as I’ll do my best to help you and I have plenty of data and references.

Happy Modeling,
Joe
 _GOTOTOP