_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
AMT ERTL 1/48 A20G Havoc
tferedo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Philippines
KitMaker: 58 posts
AeroScale: 36 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 - 12:27 AM UTC
Here's something that I finished a couple of weeks ago:

A20G of 389th Bomb Squadron, 312th Bomb Group based at Floridablanca Airfield, Luzon Philippines, April 1945

Built straight mostly straight OOB with a few scratchbuilt panels on the nose.

Painted it with Gunze Mr. Color paints and applied some weathering to give it a semi worn out look.

Landing gear assembly was tricky. Decals tended to have a milky effect when dipped in water but with a little cleaning and patience, it settled well into the model.

Cheers,
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 - 01:01 AM UTC
very nice. I have the A-20b/c in my stash and keep thinking about pulling it out and building it - any comments on the build that i might find helpful?
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 - 01:03 AM UTC
Looks great Tony!

So from what you said i assume that you used the kit decals? I ask this because i bought a "J" version for very cheap recently but i don't like the look of the old AMT decals in the kit. But the ones on yours look fine to me, so i think i will try the kit decals for mine as well...i looked for aftermarket but there isn't much around for the my version.

Andrew
PanzerMike
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hamilton, New Zealand
KitMaker: 298 posts
AeroScale: 120 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2009 - 04:48 PM UTC
very nice build got to love these twin spinners
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2009 - 06:01 PM UTC
Hi Tony,

Excellent work, congratulations!

Do you have more pictures? Maybe some of the build? I would be very happy to make a photo feature of your model for the site...

Jean-Luc
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2009 - 12:00 AM UTC
Looks excellent, Tony. Attractive looking aircraft and you did it justice. One has to love the skull on the nose next to the machine guns.
tferedo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Philippines
KitMaker: 58 posts
AeroScale: 36 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 20, 2009 - 12:17 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

First of all thanks for the nice comments. As far as building the kit, it was not like the 'shake and bake" quality like Tamiya or Hasegawa but with a little patience it can be built into a nice model. I think the one of the tricky areas that I encounted were the assembly of the landing gears. You gotta be careful as some of the plastic in my sample were brittle. The tire threads on the wheels were overly done but I did not pay attention that much once it was installed in the model.

The area wherein I also spent some time was the tail section. It required some filling and sanding.

As for the decals, at first when I dipped them in water, they formed into a milky film and I was expecting them to disintegrate and tear up but they held on. I just spent a little more time cleaning them and they placed well in the model and reacted well with Solvaset.

To Jean Luc, I will see if I have enough photos of the build process.

Cheers,
Tony
 _GOTOTOP