_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
I want to do a towed British Horsa Glider...
discordian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 239 posts
AeroScale: 95 posts
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2009 - 02:09 AM UTC
I'm fascinated by Operation Market Garden and I'm considering my next project.
So my questions are:

what would have towed a British Horsa in that operation? A Halifax?
Does anyone have a resource to recommend that would give photos or descriptions of accurate markings for that operation? Buying a book or two is not out of the question since I'd enjoy reading it anyway.

Now that biggest question: Kit recommendations!
I prefer 1/48, but I guess I'll do 1/72 becuase that's the only scale in which I've seen the Horsa (by Airfix).

Thanks!
okdoky
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,597 posts
AeroScale: 34 posts
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2009 - 05:55 AM UTC
From Wilkipedia

On operations, the Horsa was towed by various aircraft: four engined heavy bombers displaced from operational service such as the Short Stirling and Handley Page Halifax, the Armstrong Whitworth Albemarle and Armstrong Whitworth Whitley twin engined bombers, as well as the US Douglas C-47 Skytrain/Dakota (not as often due to the weight of the glider[20],

however in Operation Market Garden, a total of 1,336 C-47s along with 340 Stirlings were employed to tow 1,205 gliders [21]) and Curtiss C-46 Commando.

Nige
okdoky
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,597 posts
AeroScale: 34 posts
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2009 - 06:04 AM UTC
Hi there Scott

I also came across this lovely pic while browsing too.

I don't know how long that tow harness and intercom cable would be but in scale length it has to be quite some considerable length if showing airborne. It would make a lovely display though and easy to transport to shows unhooked.

Nige
 _GOTOTOP