_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
A-4D-2 Skyhawk Kits?
BigfootV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 1,624 posts
AeroScale: 385 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2009 - 06:08 AM UTC
Hey Gang,
Normally over on the Armorama side, but wondered over to the dark side to ask the question, Does anybody make the A-4D-2 Skyhawk in kit form? I've looked at online HS and LHS, EvilBay, with no luck. Well, not true. The only kits I've find are the "Hunchback" Marine versions for the A-4.

I'd like to do a build for my father of his old A-4D-2 that he was a Plane Capt. of, he served on two carriers, The USS Ticonderoga and USS Constellation, one of which was in the Gulf of Tonkin.
His plane was lost do to enemy fire, they think. Only thing found was the ejection seat still armed. No pilot.(They figured that out after they got into the Ready room.) That's another story in itself.

Anyways, perfered scale would be 1/48th to 1/32nd. Would like to present it to him has a Birthday gift next year. Figured I'd start looking now for the kit.
Any help would be great. Thx.

skyhawk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,095 posts
AeroScale: 52 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2009 - 06:41 AM UTC
Brian,

The A4D2 is the early designation of the A-4B. Hasegawa has a very nice kit in 1/48 if you can find one (i think sprue brothers had one in stock). If you can only find a "C", then pick up MAW B conversion for under $5, as only things you have to change out are the nose and instrument panel.
Hobbycraft also has a kit, but I cant comment on its accuracy as ive always stuck with hasegawa for my A-4 needs (except the ocassional OA-4M from monogram...but then with the new TA-4J we might just see a OA-4M from hasegawa...or at least a conversion from somebody maybe!)

Im actully looking for a Hasegawa "C" model myself...so if you get several offers let me know.

Hope that helps
Andy

BigfootV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2009 - 07:04 AM UTC
Thx, Andy
I think the MAW B conversion come after my Dad left the Navy and the C was just entering service at round that time also. He could have dealt with the MAW B conversion, I'll have to ask him.
I'll give you a shout if anything pops up.

skyhawk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,095 posts
AeroScale: 52 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2009 - 03:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I think the MAW B conversion come after my Dad left the Navy and the C was just entering service at round that time also. He could have dealt with the MAW B conversion, I'll have to ask him.

Brian....the "MAW B conversion " im refering to is the 1/48 scale resin conversion from MAW Decals that alows you to convert a Hasegawa A-4C into a A-4B
IPMS Review of resin set
Link to MAW decals resin stuff

If your Dad said AD4-2, then you want a A-4B.

What squadron was he with? I might be able to help you find markings...
HK_AFV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 454 posts
AeroScale: 12 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2009 - 04:13 PM UTC
Hi Brian,

Hasegawa has this 1/48 kit (#09426) A-4B or A4D-2 released a few years ago which is what you're looking for. This one is in my collection.

Paul

There is also another more recent release (#09784) VA-15 Valions.
BigfootV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2009 - 06:28 PM UTC
Andy,
My bad, Miss fire on my part. Thought you were talking a real plane conversion, not a company.
Ooopppss. . His was in 54 or 56. I'll have to ask him again. CRS kicked in today.

Paul,
Thx for the box shot, and numbers. I'll see if I can hunt the thing down now. You selling?
HK_AFV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 454 posts
AeroScale: 12 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2009 - 10:44 PM UTC
Hi Brian,

If you really can't find the kit, let me know. I am willing to let this one go for US$40.00 (Airmail costs included). You are doing this for a respectable cause and I would like to help. But I can only accept payment with Paypal.

Paul
BigfootV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2009 - 04:01 AM UTC
Hey Paul,
Thx for the offer. I'll keep you in mind. I'd like to take a few weeks and search some more places. I've got a year timeline for completing it.
I just had a idea of a Dio, I may put a 1/700 scale Constellation or Ticonderoga in the background. Forced perspective, A-4 being the main, carrier the second. Banked at 30, rolling in on final. Maybe a target tug in tow off the fantail.

I'll be in touch if if I strike out this last time.

armouredcharmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 670 posts
AeroScale: 175 posts
Posted: Monday, July 06, 2009 - 07:18 AM UTC
Hi mate,I`ve got Hasegawa`s 1/32 scale bird.Whilst not specifically the model you`re looking for it has the potential to be backdated if you can lay your hands on some A/M decals.
Hope this helps if you`re looking for a big bird to superdetail.
BigfootV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 18, 2009 - 05:20 PM UTC
Danny,
Thx for the offer. I'm still looking. Money's tight right now. Sorry took this long to reply. Busy with new job and all that stuff. Shoot me a PM on the price. Thx.

GaryKato
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
AeroScale: 163 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 18, 2009 - 08:40 PM UTC
If you're willing to work in 1/72, Fujimi made a series of A-4 Skyhawks that I seem to recall were quite nice. Great Models lists a Fujimi A-4B ($23.90) of VA-106 (last received 1/2009). Hobby Link Japan lists a Fujimi A-4C kit in stock for $8.63 (not including shipping) .
 _GOTOTOP