Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Anti-Sub Avenger
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 880 posts
AeroScale: 654 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 01, 2009 - 08:44 AM UTC
Hi. Just completed Accurate Miniatures 1/48 Avenger. I won't go into how nice this kit is since there are a number of articles that say how nice this kit is. The only thing I'll say is I AGREE. The detail in this kit is amazing. If you do decide to build this kit, make sure you do a lot of dry fitting when installing the cockpit parts. It took me about 15 minutes to fit the turret, I didn't think it was going to make it but it finally went. The only thing I didn't like about this build was the directions, they could have been a little more clear. I always liked the Avenger in the Anti-Sub scheme. The decals were pulled from differrent decal sheets from the spares binder. The anti-slips on the wings were masked and painted.I could only scrounge together 6 rockets, when there should be 8. I added a handle from some leftover photo-etch to the crew hatch and a placard to the interior of the hatch to add a little interest. The hard rubber tailwheel has not been replaced with a pneumatic tire since this aircraft just arrived at this base. The crates and drums are from Custom Dioramics. Thanks for looking, hope you like it, Wingman out.

Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 01, 2009 - 09:34 AM UTC
Outstanding work. Really like the base too. Just wanted to say I love that Atlantic paint scheme on the TBF or is it a TBM! Ha ha. Very nice indeed. Russell
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 01, 2009 - 09:45 AM UTC
I agree, very nice work! I've got this same kit waiting for the same color scheme some day.

some day...
Blueheeler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 347 posts
AeroScale: 223 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 01, 2009 - 11:24 PM UTC
Very nice wingman; halfway through doing the cockpit on this and your right, lot of fun trying to fit everything just right! Beautiful kit though
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, July 02, 2009 - 09:37 AM UTC
WOW, thanks for all the kind comments guys. This scheme looks good on any WWII Navy aircraft. I thought I would post some photos of the real thing. These were taken during the WWII Weekend at the Reading Airport in Reading, PA in June over the last few years. To see these beautiful aircraft up close is an amazing sight. I couldn't imagine a whole carrier filled with these with engines running, imagine what that sounds like. Thanks for looking, Wingman out.

13M201182
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 164 posts
AeroScale: 11 posts
Posted: Friday, July 03, 2009 - 04:15 PM UTC
OUTSTANDING!!! Very nice build, all around. I love that aircraft and you did justice to it. Again great job!!
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, July 04, 2009 - 02:47 AM UTC
Thank you Randy. This was an enjoyable build. I have another one in the stash, not sure when that will be built,thanks for looking, Wingman out.
sweaver
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 759 posts
AeroScale: 184 posts
Posted: Monday, July 06, 2009 - 01:42 PM UTC
Outstanding work! I like the way you have accentuated the rivets and panel lines.

I couldn't agree more concerning AM kits. I built their SBD-3, and it was, without a doubt, the best kit I've ever worked on. There was plenty of detail, but the pieces were well engineered and fit well together.
berserk6300
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hubei, China / 简体
KitMaker: 142 posts
Posted: Monday, July 06, 2009 - 02:02 PM UTC
VERY NICE!
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, July 06, 2009 - 02:09 PM UTC
Hi Samuel. Thank you. I preshaded the panel lines and then applied a raw umber wash wiped in the direction of the airflow after the paint and decals were applied. The areas between the wing root and the hinge where the wing folds was dirtied up using pastel chalks. I really like how Accurate Miniatures even molded in the small grab bars on the hand holds. Thanks for looking, Wingman out.
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, July 06, 2009 - 02:11 PM UTC
Hi LI. Thank you. Accurate Miniatures really caught the shape of the Avenger well. I started Hasegawa's 1/48 Typhoon, another very cool looking plane, thanks for looking, Wingman out.
berserk6300
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hubei, China / 简体
KitMaker: 142 posts
Posted: Monday, July 06, 2009 - 04:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi LI. Thank you. Accurate Miniatures really caught the shape of the Avenger well. I started Hasegawa's 1/48 Typhoon, another very cool looking plane, thanks for looking, Wingman out.

HEHE ,next week I started winterT55 or hitory figure or GUMDAM or winter MIG3~~~~too busy~~~
 _GOTOTOP