_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
Italia 1:72 Mustang (RAF)
Tin_Bitz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 35 posts
AeroScale: 23 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 05, 2009 - 07:27 AM UTC
Just thought I would share this kit with everyone- it’s a 1:72 scale Mustang from Italia. I started off the kit with enamels and ended up going back to using Tamiya acrylics with value screen wash as in the UK you cannot buy Tamiya thinner 20A in anything other than the small pots. I had great problems with the spraying enamels so went back to the acrylics and was happier with the result. I’m not 100% happy with the result but as they say every day is a school day.
Cheers
Tin_Bitz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 35 posts
AeroScale: 23 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 05, 2009 - 07:34 AM UTC
Sorry Here are the pictures- all comments good and bad welcome,
cheers

Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 05, 2009 - 08:04 AM UTC
A very nice build indeed! It is always interesting to see American aircraft carrying British markings and camoflage. Thanks for showing your work off. Look forward to seeing more of it. Russell
mvfrog
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 369 posts
AeroScale: 104 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 05, 2009 - 02:22 PM UTC
Very nice P-51. It is good to see one in foreign markings, gives the Mustang a little different look. I think not seeing it in silver gives you a different look at the fighter. There was a group that proposed and built a Mustang to sell to the Air Force for use in Viet Nam. It had a turbojet power plant with one big exhaust on the left side, and no cooler on the belly. Looked like a big tube. They said they could guarantee 475 knots across the target. The USAF gulped, eyes like saucers, and whimpered, "No thanks." I would have loved to be there for that.

Nice build; would be good to see more 'alternative' mustangs...I think the Russians might have had a couple, too, but I am probably wrong on that. French? Could be an interesting gallery of models.

Thanks for the photos,
Matt
jowady
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
AeroScale: 131 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 05, 2009 - 03:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

. There was a group that proposed and built a Mustang to sell to the Air Force for use in Viet Nam. It had a turbojet power plant with one big exhaust on the left side, and no cooler on the belly. Looked like a big tube. They said they could guarantee 475 knots across the target. The USAF gulped, eyes like saucers, and whimpered, "No thanks." I would have loved to be there for that.

Thanks for the photos,
Matt

The company was Cavalier. They also did a limited production run of slightly modified "Ds". The major external difference was wingtip tanks. The Turboprop was called the "COIN" for Counter Insurgency. Years ago I think that someone made a vacuform kit.

John
 _GOTOTOP