A Question for AirGunner
chris1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 949 posts
AeroScale: 493 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 05, 2009 - 11:09 AM UTC
Hi Steve
I've been following Daniels build of the 109,and you commented that you did the same camo scheme with a small rag,while it is self explanatory, any tips or things to watch out for.

I ask as I don't own an airbrush and am looking for ideas for doing different camo schemes without one,
Cheers

Chris
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 05, 2009 - 08:57 PM UTC
I read that thread too. And although I own an airbrush I couldn't get the splatter right.
I used the corner of a baby's bib. Think terry towelling nappies.
If you don't have young kids ask someone who does for their old bibs

Test it on some scrap plastic. Use it almost dry, kind of like dry brushing, more dry dabbing.
Then smooth it down with fine sand paper and a polishing stick as it gives a bumpy finish.
Good luck.

dora ready for decal
AIRGUNNER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 246 posts
AeroScale: 234 posts
Posted: Monday, July 06, 2009 - 12:20 AM UTC
Hello Chris,

I cut a piece of cotton rag about 3/4 inch square, screwed it up and held it in a pair of pointed tweezers. I then decanted some paint into a small tray, dipped the rag in and dabbed it all over the model. My theory behing this was they probably used a piece of rag about 3 feet square, so I just scaled it down to try and get a 'scale effect'. It gave the following effect:-

The interesting thing to note is the mottle comes out quite heavily which was the efeect I was trying to achieve. However, I have recently brought three books on the 109, and it appears that it was only JG2 that applied the mottle this way. Other photos of other groups show it to be much finer, as pointed out by Steffen in his reply to me. The one thing I would suggest is you check carefully against any photos of the aircraft you are modelling.

Hope this helps.

Steve
chris1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 949 posts
AeroScale: 493 posts
Posted: Monday, July 06, 2009 - 08:20 PM UTC
Steve & Jaypee.
Thanks for such a quick reply,
I thought that might have been the case but wasn't sure,as I've manged to stuff up a mottle scheme previously and thought I'd missed something.

Cheers

Chris
 _GOTOTOP