Fw-190 drop tank
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Monday, July 06, 2009 - 11:29 AM UTC
Hi all,

As I was starting to get ready for priming with my (one of too many in fact...) current project, a Fw-190 D-9, I noticed there was one thing I could easily add. That being the fuel lines connecting the external drop tank to the aircraft.

With a quick googling I found several awesome models of the exact same aircraft I was building. Here's one right here.
From the photos I can see the tank connected about in the middle with two tubes (one to draw the fuel, the second to fill the resulting void with an inert gas like exhaust, I presume?), but not much more.
As the scale of the kit is 1:72, I guess I could get away with just drilling holes and inserting some wire to connect the tank, but it would be nice to know some details.

I guess there must have been a socket in the bottom of the aircraft specifically for this as well as on the drop tank? What do they look like?

If someone knows of any good references, I'd be greatful to know.

With my searches I couldn't find any exhaustive references on 190s' fuel system or drop tanks.
I also carefully looked through my copy of Aero Detail #6 on A/F/G variants (Sure, wrong subtypes covered, but in hopes to get a general idea. Those tanks couldn't have been that much different...), but its drawings of drop tanks and their associated hardware didn't go into such details as fuel lines.

And before I call this post finised, there's one more thing I'd like to ask from you Luftwaffe experts.
The drop tank that came with the Academy kit is very similar to the one hanging from this model I mentioned earlier, but it lacks the flattened area on the bottom, as well as the end cap. I've seen noticed both kinds on models. There are apparently different types?

Thanks in advance.
 _GOTOTOP