_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
BoB Campaign: Sad end to my Bf 110 :(!!
bytepilot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Karnataka, India / भारत
KitMaker: 381 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2003 - 11:02 PM UTC
Hi folks,

Sorry to let you folks know that I may have to call my campaign dead in the water..

Had finished the complete camo painting on Sunday, and put it out in the sun for drying. However, the canopy found it too hot to handle, and got completely disfigured. As a result, I will have to go in for another canopy, or scratchbuild a new one. This will take some time, and so I don't think I will be able to get it done by the 7th of July. Everything else, including the wheels assembly is ready, and I can put on the decals, but it will be a unfinished bird.

So I am sad to opt out of this campaign at this point. However, if the deadline gets extended by another 1-1.5 weeks, I may have it done by then. Otherwise, I'm calling it quits on my kit for now. I will definitely put in the effort later and get the kit finished !

Here are some last views, if you are interested...

More snaps avlbl at Yahoo Photos or Webshots Link

Thanks for your interest and feedback on my plane !

Cheers,
BP.
brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,495 posts
AeroScale: 643 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2003 - 11:40 PM UTC
Hi BP, that is a shame about the canopy. The pics so far look really impressive, Even if you don't finish in time for the campaign I would love to see the finished kit.
Martin
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2003 - 05:55 AM UTC
Hi BP

That really sucks about the canopy! She's looking great - I suppose there's no chance of you getting a Squadron (Falcon) vacuform replacement in time? One way or another, you've got to finish her - she's too good to leave on one side!

That's a warning for everyone about leaving kits in the sun... but I'm surprised it was the canopy that suffered and not the dark surfaces which you'd imagine would absorb more heat.

Keep your chin up! All the best

Rowan
Wraith
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 49 posts
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2003 - 06:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi BP

That really sucks about the canopy! She's looking great - I suppose there's no chance of you getting a Squadron (Falcon) vacuform replacement in time? One way or another, you've got to finish her - she's too good to leave on one side!

That's a warning for everyone about leaving kits in the sun... but I'm surprised it was the canopy that suffered and not the dark surfaces which you'd imagine would absorb more heat.

Keep your chin up! All the best

Rowan

It's probably a matter of the regular body plastic being able to take more heat than the canopy's clear plastic... or something like that.

It really is a shame - it's looking great otherwise! Hopefully you'll be able to pull something off and fix it.
bytepilot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Karnataka, India / भारत
KitMaker: 381 posts
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2003 - 04:06 PM UTC
Hi guys,

Thanks for the words of comfort. That has made me take a relook at scratchbuilding the canopy.

I have started work on rebuilding the rear half. Took measurements with a slide callipers, and will be refashioning the canopy out of 0.5mm plastic. Here's what I have in mind:
1. Draw the expanded outline of the canopy on plastic sheet.
2. Insert windows on the cut out section with a pencil.
3. Use stretched sprue and stick on the plastic to simulate canopy frames.
4. Cut out windows from plastic sheet, inside the areas formed by the sprue..
5. Glue on strips of clear plastic to the inside of the canopy frames, or cut out pieces and insert into gaps.

Hopefully, this shoud solve the problem(it also has the makings of a Feature Tips Article. :-) hehe...

Cheers,
BP.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2003 - 06:26 PM UTC
Hi bytepilot

It sounds a huge amount of work... it might be quicker to try plunge-moulding some clear sheet and adding frames from aluminium foil or painted decal.

A feature on your method would certainly get my attention! :-)

Good luck either way

Rowan
 _GOTOTOP