_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Pictures of Typhoon cockpit needed
Part-timer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 361 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2003 - 08:24 AM UTC
I'm working on a 1/48 hasegawa typhoon with a jaguar resin cockpit set. The resin set is beautiful, with lots of little bits and details, very sharp molding, and relatively easy cleanup. However, I don't have any good instructions for painting the cockpit, other than the generic British Interior Green for the walls, floor, etc. My resources are all in B&W, so no help on colors for switches, dials, etc.

Does anybody have any color pictures of the interior of a Hawker Typhoon (IB ideally, but I'd take other variants gladly)? Or know of links where they have some? (I've already tried Aircraft Resource Center, which has great exterior shots, but nothing inside the cockpit that I can find.)

Thanks very much.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2003 - 08:38 AM UTC
Hi Part-Timer

I don't think I've ever seen any colour shots, but I'll re-check my references.

I presume you've got diagrams showing what the contols and instruments are? They probably followed standard RAF colour coding - if you can cross-reference. Most instruments were standard from the manufacturer - e.g. Smith's Industries.

Otherwise, maybe the RAF Museum, Hendon has some pics... they may have a website...

I look forward to seeing your Tiffy - lovely brute!

All the best

Rowan
Part-timer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2003 - 08:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I presume you've got diagrams showing what the contols and instruments are? They probably followed standard RAF colour coding - if you can cross-reference. Most instruments were standard from the manufacturer - e.g. Smith's Industries.

You're giving me (and my research) far, FAR too much credit. I'm afraid all I'm really working from is Squadron's Typhoon in Action, and some general WWII aircraft volumes. If you know where I could find the information you described, I'd be most grateful for it. :-)

One of these days, I must get around to learning how to post pics to the web. I've finished one model (a Tiger I) and started another (a Marder III) since finding armorama, and I'm eager to show off my (relatively poor) handiwork. I'll try to get it sorted by the time I finish the Tiff.

Quoted Text

lovely brute!

Got to dig those thick wings and that scoop under the prop. So ugly it's gorgeous.
m1garand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,248 posts
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2003 - 09:43 AM UTC
This is for the tempest, but may give you some help.

http://user.tninet.se/~ytm843e/tempest.htm

Wander around this site. HTH
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2003 - 09:52 AM UTC
Hi again!

I'll try to scan a diagram for you... it won't be 'till tomorrow though. I've had no luck with a colour pic so far...

If no-one else comes up with anything better by then, I'll try to offer a few colour suggestions.

I've been lucky enough to see the Hendon exhibit... huge engine and four 20mm cannon - she's so ugly, she's awe inspiring... just spare a thought for the poor s*ds on the "receiving end"!

Do try to go "the extra mile" and get some pictures posted. I found it a real pig (no pun intended) to start with... I just COULDN'T figure out what I was doing wrong... but it really isn't a black art and it's what brings the site to life.

All the best

Rowan
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2003 - 07:49 PM UTC
Hi Part Timer

These are from "Typhoon and Tempest at War" - which I think is out of print - my copy's 13 years old!

I haven't found any colour pics, but the colour notes in the key should help brighten things up!

Looking forward to seeing the finished model

All the best

Rowan
Part-timer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 02:42 AM UTC
Holy smokes, Rowan, the diagram is much better than I imagined I'd get! Really interesting, too. Thanks a ton!
Part-timer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 02:48 AM UTC
A big thanks to you, too, m1garand. What a great site. It looks like they have the Tempest equivalent of the Typhoon diagrams posted by Porky/Rowan, as well as some additional drawings of mechanical & electrical assemblies in the cockpit. Responses like these are why people come to armorama.
Siggi
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 90 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 06:15 AM UTC
If you go here and scroll down you'll find colour screenies of the Tempest cockpit being created for FB. They are 100% accurate renditions being made by third parties for Oleg Maddox' air-combat simulation 'Ilyushin2: Forgotten Battles'. I think the Typhoon and Tempest cockpits are basically identical.

http://www.il2sturmovik.com/forgotten_battles/fb_development.php
bytepilot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Karnataka, India / भारत
KitMaker: 381 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 06:17 PM UTC
Hi part-timer,

Found a link which you may find useful. It has a pic of a virtual cockpit, which leads to a zip file containing skins for the Typhoon and Tempest. These may help you out...

http://personal.inet.fi/cool/mikko.kosonen/index2.html

Cheers,
BP.
BoarHead
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 121 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 06:43 PM UTC
ROwan, you made one helluva job by scanning those images .... jeez, mate!
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 05:55 AM UTC
Thanks BoarHead!

Actually, my scanner has packed up, so I had a brainwave and used my digital camera instead! I reasoned that it's really just a fancy "scanner" with a lense - if you see what I mean...

Cheers

Rowan
 _GOTOTOP