_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
help with starter kit for 9yr old son
pfc
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,017 posts
AeroScale: 41 posts
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2003 - 03:18 PM UTC
My 9yr old son came to me tonight wanting to build a model plane together. He saw a picture of a B-17 he wants to do . I got to looking around and they are exspensive for a learning tool but also a cool plane. He really showed a lot of interest in that model I hate for him to lose interest because we cant do the model. So does any one have any suggestions, or of any good starter kits.Or know of any B-17 kits for around 25.00 usd.
TimberWolf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 225 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2003 - 03:32 PM UTC
hmm, my first plane was a A-10 warthog I did with gramps, :-)

B-17 hmmm... I have a B-17 that I build (well I only wanted to paint it, so my dad did all the work hehe)
It came out prety good and is still hanging together today!

My B-17
Most times you want to stay away from revell but this plane was an acception.
Good luck and have fun
didiumus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 564 posts
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2003 - 03:37 PM UTC
I would recommend one of the Academy 1/72 B-17's. The F and G models are pretty nice, not overly detailed, fit well, and aren't very expensive.

The Monogram and Revell 1/48 kits are nice too, and not very much money, but it could be a little intimidating to a first time modeler.

I would recommend the 1/72 kits - a little less scary for a first timer... Hope this helps.

Scott
chip250
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,864 posts
AeroScale: 410 posts
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2003 - 06:41 PM UTC
My dad got me started on the old Monogram 1/48 Memphis Belle with all paint and glue included.

My first kit on my own was a Japanese Zero from Monogram. It looked horrible but I thought it was gold.

Start him out with a 1/72 scale kit. or get a Monogram B-17 and work on it together. You paint that and he can paint this. and so on.

~Chip
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
AeroScale: 287 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 12:31 AM UTC
Look for the old Matchbox B-17 kit. Fairly easy build, rather cheap on Ebay.
ModlrMike
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 714 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 01:44 AM UTC
I started my kids with the snap kits and moved to glue later. I found the snap kits gave them an understanding of the hobby through a fairly easy build. Although I don't know of any snap B-17 kits.
Uruk-Hai
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 795 posts
AeroScale: 21 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 04:10 AM UTC
If one is going to start out building models and in this case, modelplanes.
I would start with a Tamiya 1/48 propeller aircraft.

They are so easy to build, good instructions and fit. No filler is needed.

GhengisWong
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 74 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 05:30 AM UTC
Modelexpo-online has the Revell B-17 for 21.99. With shipping it comes out to around 29 bucks. It might be a little intimidating for a first time modeller, but the sheer size of the model and a 9yr olds capacity to overlook "mistakes" makes it a real winner for a beginner in my book.

If you want a Tamiya (good quality) kit, they are having a 20% off sale on Tamiya plastic. Use this link for the sale.

http://www.modelexpo-online.com/ema035

Sale ends tomorrow I think. I checked and the revell B-17 isn't on discount.

The Revell B-17 got me hooked on modelling. I never got over my fascination with that plane.

Good luck to you and your son on your project.

GN
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 24 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 12:33 PM UTC
If your son is hell bent on getting his hands on a B-17, go for it, but then preferably in 1/72. The quarter scale of these ac, are even tough on us experienced modelers due to their sheer size.

But if your son is open for suggestion, I'll have to recommend, like Toke, 1/48 props* from Tamiya/Haseqawa. The fit is in most cases excellent and the number of parts is manageable plus the prices are affordable. I think most of us adults has forgotten what it was like to build as youngster i.e. the coolness and speed factors were vital. But the best suggestion/advice would be for him to make the final decision.

Have fun

EW

*Far too many parts
pfc
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,017 posts
AeroScale: 41 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 12:48 PM UTC
Thanks for the help folks I think we may settle on 1/48 props for know but you got love those B-17.
mavrick1124
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 188 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 01:56 PM UTC
PFC, know what you mean about how he really wants to do the B-17. My son started that way, had to have the first thing that caught his eye. I just let him go and learn. I did work with him , and his first turned out quite well. Now he is doing things to his projects I just started doing to mine in the last 5 years. Great hobby for kids. I would go with the Monogram B-17. Some places may give him trouble, but the size makes it easier for young ones to handle. Good luck to him and happy modeling. Mav
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
AeroScale: 1,040 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 02:32 PM UTC
Better think in an easy kit to build. I would recomend a Tamiya in 1/48 scale because this brand have kits in this scale that are very easy to build with good fit, nice details and not too many parts. For example Wildcat or Spitfire, these are two nice kits and not a complex build.
If he insists in a B17 try with the 1/72 Academy. Itīs better to start with a good quality kit.
Good luck
 _GOTOTOP