_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: What If?
For those who like to build hypothetical or alternate history versions of planes.
Civilian Military Jets
shonen_red
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
AeroScale: 543 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 03:28 AM UTC
Can an ordinary civilian can or by any chance own a military jet? Of course you'll have to remove the missiles and the vulcan attached to it. I've seen in the Discovery channel someone who owns a Bucaneer. I always wanted to own my personal Harrier cause it's darn traffic here in the Philippines! It requires little or no runway at all. It can land almost anywhere. It's a dream plane for me! Do you have to pay taxes for owning one? What would be the limitations if you had one?
MichalBT
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Województwo Kieleckie, Poland
KitMaker: 326 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 04:15 AM UTC
Few years ago Polish Air Forces were selling jets from their stock (e.g. MIG-23). Of course you could buy aircraft without missles and guns. All of them were bought by European and American collectors. But I don't know if MIG-23 are flying. But for sure LIMs (MIG-15 built in Poland) do that.

HTH

Michal
AJLaFleche
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
AeroScale: 328 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 04:21 AM UTC
Among some of the more recent privately owned jets I've seen onthe airshow circuit were a pair of F-104 Starfighters and an F-86 Sabre. If you have the money, you can buy surplus. At least here in the US.
kkeefe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 1,416 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 10:41 AM UTC
Al,

Wasn't that F-86 at Barnes a beauty too! A year later at Quonset Point RI, it had commercial (Pepsi etc) markings on it along with period AF markings.

I too have seen the F-104 flying and was very impressed. I have also seen a privately owned F-4D fly as well. No commercial markings there, altho it was group owned (forget who exactly). Just wonderful to see them preserved and fly!

Must be nice to have that kind of dough. Ya still gotta feed those things.
mavrick1124
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 188 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 02:06 PM UTC
I would think that it would have to be a plane that is no longer in service But , if you got bucks, I'm sure you can get it.
Phantom
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 195 posts
AeroScale: 52 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 05:50 PM UTC
Well first of all Shonen, you'll need a few million dollars in order to buy one, then of course property taxes and all that would apply, as well as the rather substantial funds that would be required for maintenance, fuel, tires, etc. Also, even though the Harrier can take off and land virtually anywhere, the force generatd by the engine in doing so is not always nice to the pavement. A local airshow here has planned to have a flying demo of the Harrier, but found that it blew/burned a hole in the asphalt while practicing a vertical take off.

I can't even imagine how you would afford to keep an F-4D fueled! A T-38, no problem, A-4, sure, but the Phantom?! That takes some deep pockets.
shonen_red
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 10:59 PM UTC
Thanks all! I promise, I'll study really really hard to buy a Harrier! :-)
MichalBT
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Województwo Kieleckie, Poland
KitMaker: 326 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 05:29 AM UTC
If you are interested in MIG-21- you should contact Polish AMW military agency. Next year we will stop flying these aircrafts- and for sure they will be responsible for selling them.

Michal
keenan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
AeroScale: 74 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 05:45 AM UTC
Bust out the check book or sell half of those kits you will never build. Check out the link. F 100 F Super Saber for sale, only $480,000. Start saving up now...

http://www.aircraft.com/listings/forsale/detail.asp?guid=6wtccgo0&pcid=16476&etid=1&OHID=1051119&setype=1&nh=0

Shaun
AJLaFleche
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
AeroScale: 328 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 05:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Bust out the check book or sell half of those kits you will never build. Check out the link. F 100 F Super Saber for sale, only $480,000. Start saving up now...
Shaun

Cheaper by far than a Ferrari Enzo!
keenan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
AeroScale: 74 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 05:59 AM UTC
Ooops, changed my mind. I'm buying this feller for only $497,000. Be the first one on the block to own a Whiskey Class diesel electric sub.

Here is the link...

http://www.b-americanboats.com/whiskeyFAQ.html

Okay, I'm done now #:-)

Shaun
TwistedFate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 805 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 06:26 AM UTC
Discounts for fleet purchase, too. We could pool our money and get an Armorama submarine fleet.
BoarHead
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 121 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 07:04 AM UTC
Kid, you are out of your mind if you think you can afford a Harrier... you are nuts ...

By the way .. how much do you thing a Messerschmitt E7 costs? =) I WANT ONE! (++) (++)
shonen_red
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 10:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Kid, you are out of your mind if you think you can afford a Harrier... you are nuts ...

By the way .. how much do you thing a Messerschmitt E7 costs? =) I WANT ONE! (++) (++)

I really love that craft!
 _GOTOTOP