_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
BoB : Scratchbuilt a canopy for my Bf 110!!
bytepilot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Karnataka, India / भारत
KitMaker: 381 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 04:04 PM UTC
Hi folks,

The canopy on my Bf 110 was completely totalled on Sunday. So I decided to scratchbuild a new one. It's made out of sheet plastic, thin strips from an aluminium can and transparent plastic from an old CD cover.

Here is a pic. Looks crude, but with a little more of filing and sanding, it should be OK I guess...

If you can't see the pic, here is the Webshots link.

Cheers,
BP.
BoarHead
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 121 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 05:42 PM UTC
Mate, it looks good for being built from scratch ... but I thing the canopy is something that you just cant replicate with complete success ... only god ... so I recommend to buy a new one ...
(++) (++) (++) BoarHead (++) (++) (++)
bytepilot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Karnataka, India / भारत
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 05:49 PM UTC
Hi BoarHead,

Though I do tend to agree with you about God being the only one to replicate it , I can't go in for a new one at this point of time since there are only 5 days left for the BoB campaign to end, and I'd like to have a complete model by that time(however ugly or beautiful)...

I'll most likely replace the canopy at a later date. Until then, it will have to do with this one I guess...

BP.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 06:10 PM UTC
Nice one BP!

That's some really delicate and ingenious work! How many separate pieces are involved?

So, you're back on track to finish the campaign... all the RAF builders had better watch out!

Well done! Full marks for determination! :-)

All the best

Rowan
bytepilot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Karnataka, India / भारत
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 06:39 PM UTC
Hi Porky,

Thanks !
It consists of mainly one single sheet of thin plastic, and three pieces of clear plastic.

These are the steps I followed(am repeating them from an earlier post):
1. Gauge the length of the canopy section at the base using a slide callipers set. It worked out to be 26mm(or 2.6 cm). The width was determined from a plastic strip at the top of the forward section, and came out at 1.6 cm.
2. Draw a rectangle upon a thin sheet of plastic, with length of 26 mm and width 1.6 cm.
3. Height was again determined using the Pythagoras theorem, since it slopes off at the sides.
4. Then I drew two more rectangles of length 26mm and width as determined from step 3.
Looks like this(with no gaps b/w rectangles):
[_________]
|_________|
[_________]
5. FInally, using a circle template, and the centre line of the middle rectangle, I drew a semicircular section on the plastic sheet. This forms the rear section adjoining the fuselage.
6. I then cut out the sheet as drawn.
7. Canopy frames are then drawn on the cut sections, in a vertical manner.
8. Taking a Coke can, I cut strips from it whose width was equal to the frames width.
9. I stuck this on to the drawn strips on the plastic with superglue.
10. After the strips have dried, I bent the strips so that the two outer plastic rectangles move inwards.
11. The rear circular section is then folded back into the V shaped section. Edges are glued.
12. Using a No 11 blade, I cut out the windows along the lines drawn and filed the edges.
13. FInally, I cut out strips from a transparent plastic sheet whose width is equal to the height of the windows. One edge was filed to get a knife edge. These were then stuck into the interior of the frames, knife edge going in, to get the windows.

That, in brief, is how I made my canopy.. Hope somebody finds this useful!

Am back on track for the campaign all right!! RAFfies, watch out... !!

Cheers,
BP.
brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,495 posts
AeroScale: 643 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 10:03 PM UTC
BP that is one serious piece of scratchbuilding, congratulations. I wish I had your patience to do things like that. I'm glad you can finish the campaign.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 08:15 AM UTC
:-) Well done BP, Inspirational
Mal
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 08:25 AM UTC
Holy Cow!!!! :-)

Well, I did ask...

100 extra Brownie Points for for Dedication Beyond The Call Of Making All The RAF Modellers Wish They'd Built A Superior German Aircraft - DBTCOMATRAFMWTBASGA for short.

Brilliant!

All the best

Rowan
HastyP
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,117 posts
AeroScale: 47 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 09:11 AM UTC
Nice piece of scratch building BP. Think it looks great. Just wondering, where can you buy a replacement canopy without having a new kit? I myself have never seen them and am just curious.

Regards
HastyP
airwarrior
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,085 posts
AeroScale: 217 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 09:43 AM UTC
pardon my freedom ( :-) )...................but......DERN!thats good!
bytepilot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Karnataka, India / भारत
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 04:28 PM UTC
Hi HastyP,

Seems you can get canopies in resin or PE, or as part of a cockpit improvement set. Frankly I haven't seen any, but I guess it should be available from VP.

Anyway, I prefer scratchbuilding to buying expensive goodies, so just thought out the process, put it down on a piece of paper, and started working away!

I have also scratchbuilt the complete interior of a 1/48 Mig 21 that way. Just had reference pics for the side panels(check out a thread on the RRB). It's not that tough once you plan it out properly...but isn't that what scratchbuilding all about :-) ??

Cheers,
BP.
 _GOTOTOP