_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
Hunter colour question
MikeMx
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 649 posts
AeroScale: 434 posts
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2009 - 02:03 AM UTC
My Revell 1/72 Hunter FGA 9 has turned up - thanks to the guys who recommended it - it looks a very nice kit indeed. I have a quick question regards the colour scheme. I'm used to making WW2 subjects so this is a nice change. I always thought that the basic camou scheme colours were the same on post war RAF fighters as they were at the end of WW2 - ie Dark Green/Ocean Grey upper sides and Medium Sea Grey undersides. The instructions call for white undersides - is this correct? The RAF markings are for No 1 tactical weapons unit 1979 and 79 squadron, no 1 tactical weapons unit 1984. I was also surprised to find the RAF still using them in the 80's in any role!

thanks
Mike
pigsty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,226 posts
AeroScale: 640 posts
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2009 - 09:12 PM UTC
Neither is right, I'm afraid, though they are fairly similar. The top surfaces are dark green and dark sea grey. The undersaide on camouflaged Hunters was originally high-speed silver but by the end of the 1970s it was light aircraft grey, if it hadn't been repainted in overall grey/green. Goodness only knows where Revell got white from - that would be a Royal Navy Hunter.

The Hunter was just about leaving the Tactical Weapons Units in 1984, to be replaced by the Hawk. Amazingly, the very last to leave British service were T.Mk.7s from 208 Sqn in 1994, and either GA.Mk.11s or T.Mk.8s from FRADU in 1995 - and they still had useful airframe life left! (That's if you don't count a few stragglers in places like DERA.)
MikeMx
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 649 posts
AeroScale: 434 posts
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2009 - 10:04 PM UTC
Thanks for that. I think I have Dark Sea Grey anyway but will check that and what light greys I have. I was tempted by the Swiss Hunter's armed with Mavericks (dated 1994) but I'm gonna stick with the RAF version as it's my first build of a Hunter.

thanks
Mike
 _GOTOTOP