_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Radio aerial wire - what guage?
Pilgrim
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 516 posts
AeroScale: 9 posts
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2009 - 03:54 AM UTC
I'm usually an armour modeller (it's wonderful what you can hide behind a splash of mud ), but I'm currently building a 1/24 Spitfire 1A as a 40th birthday present for a friend. I gather that monofilament fishing line is a good material for the radio aerial wire? If so, what would be an appropriate gauge to use for this scale of model? I don't know anything about fishing tackle - and not much about building aircraft kits (it's amazing how the two different disciplines require such different techniques!). If you chaps can offer any guidance I'd be very grateful.

Sean
robot_
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 719 posts
AeroScale: 691 posts
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2009 - 04:46 AM UTC
I'm not sure if it will be too thin for 1/24, but people use what is called invisible thread, which is available in a grey 'smoke' colour, for 1/72 and 1/48. I found it in Hobbycraft, but I guess any good craft shop or sewing shop should have some. It is a nylon monofilament, like fishing line, but I think it has a bit more stretch in it. It is very thin, so maybe painting it would give it a better scale appearance.

Fishing line is usually pale yellow or clear, so would need to be painted as well, I guess.
stonar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 337 posts
AeroScale: 309 posts
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2009 - 06:26 AM UTC
I use 2lb, oops sorry, 1Kg nylon monofilament fishing line line for 1/48 scale and it looks good. I would guess something a bit heavier maybe 5lb(or 2.5 Kg) would work at the bigger scale. I colour it using a grey marker pen.
Many people use stretched sprue for antenna wires but I'm absolutely rubbish at this and can never get a length and gauge I'm happy with!
I was intrigued by your comment about different techniques. I have a friend who models armour and whilst of course there are differences we decided we had a lot in common. Almost grounds for a seperate discussion.
Cheers
Steve
EdgarBrooks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 397 posts
AeroScale: 384 posts
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2009 - 09:07 PM UTC
I use stretched clear sprue; it's the nearest that I've found to stainless steel, which was the aerials' composition. If you're going to paint it, then a bright silver would be more correct. Very many make their aerials far too thick, as well; multiply them by 24, and you'd end up with ship's cable.
Edgar
stonar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 337 posts
AeroScale: 309 posts
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2009 - 09:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I use stretched clear sprue; it's the nearest that I've found to stainless steel, which was the aerials' composition. If you're going to paint it, then a bright silver would be more correct. Very many make their aerials far too thick, as well; multiply them by 24, and you'd end up with ship's cable.
Edgar

I'm sure you are absolutely right Edgar but It's all I can do to manage that 2lb line. It may be a little overscale but at least I can see it (just!) Really a lot of things on many models are not exactly to scale (thickness of under carriage doors, canopies?) and the 2lb line doesn't LOOK like a hawser. Incidentally I never thought much about the colour, though I new they were stainless steel. I shall be changing grey for silver; thanks very much for the tip.
Cheers
Steve
Pilgrim
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 516 posts
AeroScale: 9 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 02, 2009 - 09:13 PM UTC
Thanks for the replies - they have been really helpful for a neophyte aeroplane moddler!
 _GOTOTOP