_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
P47 Razor
sweatydogz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 114 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 08:02 AM UTC
Hiya all,
Here is my second ever aircraft. Its the Tamiya P47 Razorback with Eagle Strike decals. I have not started the weathering yet.
Hope you like it.
:-) :-)

Kencelot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 08:08 AM UTC
Looking good. I like the influx of aircraft on the site lately. I may soon have to build one...or at least finish the Apache.
Are Eagle Strike decals after market?
TimberWolf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 225 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 08:10 AM UTC
Thats one good looking aircraft!
Great cockpit deatial, and its only your second plane?! *fells jelous*

Cant wait to see more
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 08:16 AM UTC
Hi Sweatdogz!

That's only your second aircraft!?! Ouch!!

It looks stunning - lovely cockpit. What's going to happen with the area behind the seat - there was a bit of controversy lately at Modelling Madness about what colour it should be. The concensus (it got a bit heated!) was that it should be the exterior colour.

Amazing stuff :-) :-)

Rowan
slodder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
AeroScale: 305 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 08:22 AM UTC
Wow - Very nice work. That is wonderful stuff. The cockpit is great. Well painted.
scoccia
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 2,606 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 08:31 AM UTC
I'm not a plane fan, but I just love the details and the finishing of the interiors and the decals that look quite big but do not show any silvering at all.
Bravo!!!
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 08:37 AM UTC
:-) Looking good, sweatydogz, love the nose art

Rowan,
Quoted Text

It looks stunning - lovely cockpit. What's going to happen with the area behind the seat - there was a bit of controversy lately at Modelling Madness about what colour it should be. The concensus (it got a bit heated!) was that it should be the exterior colour.

Agreed, lovely cockpit, ( sweatydogz, is the harness PE? ). Don't take my word for it but I would paint the area behind the cockpit the interior colour. From the few black and white photos that I have seen that show this area it is definately not the exterior colour. Without any evidence logic would suggest this as well. To have a heated argument over this sort of thing is, well lets not go there What ever colour it is, will be correct :-) it's your model :-)
Mal
PS, Rowan you didn't stir things up, over at Modelling Madness did you?
Siggi
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 90 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 09:08 AM UTC
2nd plane?? Take your 10th to a compo, you'll clean up.
sweatydogz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 09:09 AM UTC
I agree Mal, I will paint the back of the cockpit the interior colour.The seat belts are from Eduard (wanted to have a go with PE).
I do have to admit this Tamyia kit has stretched my skills............ so many parts, but worth it in the long run.
ladymodelbuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,218 posts
AeroScale: 424 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 11:57 AM UTC
Hi dogz,
Looks great to be just your second attempt at A/C..... Keep up the great work....

(++)
HastyP
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,117 posts
AeroScale: 47 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 12:01 PM UTC
Dogz

That is one hell of a nice build. Love the colour and the belts.

Cheers
HastyP
steve203
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 579 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 12:10 PM UTC
Nice work. The cockpit looks great.
andy007
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,088 posts
AeroScale: 74 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 04:12 PM UTC
Nice build there. I too am building a P-47 razorback but mine is testors.
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 06:27 PM UTC
Hi Mal!

Me stirring at MM?? Would I??! (even if they deserved it...)

Seriously, they didn't need any help... that's one thing I love about Armorama - evryone's so civilized! I've stumbled onto a couple of "debates" at MM and Hyperscale which have turned quite nasty - I don't know what gets into them... I haven't dared join in.

Back to the P47 - before the MM saga, I would have agreed with you, but one guy posted a pic of P47s under construction for the RAF - the area was clearly pre-painted in exterior colour before the canopy was fitted. Of course USAAF a/c may have been different.

I'll try to find my way back to that pic.

All the best

Rowan
blaster76
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
AeroScale: 137 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 06:39 PM UTC
If i ever get back into building planes again, I might have to get that kit. You sure did a fine job on it.
TOMCAT14
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 312 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 08:32 PM UTC

NIce looking Girl , Ohh I'm sorry I wanted say a wonderfull P-47 -( I like every nose art - like that !!!!! ) , Cocpit - nice wheathering . Very good Job.

Best Regards
jimbrae
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
AeroScale: 291 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 08:51 PM UTC
That, for a 2nd plane is truly spectacular, I particularly like the work you've done in the cockpit. Really nice indeed...Jim
SS-74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 09:10 PM UTC
Man, for second plane it's real awesome. I think second plane is a lucky number, I remember my second plane, looked better than my 4th plane, i don't know why.

But man, it's lovely, everything is perfect! Good work!
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2003 - 07:55 AM UTC
Hi all

Here's a link to the P47 pics I mentioned:

P47 debate

My memory must be going! The debate wasn't on Modeling Madness at all, and everyone seems much better behaved than I'd remembered! (In future take what I say with a pinch of salt...)

To summarise the debate for anyone who can't face wading through the whole thread, it boiled down to this: was the razorback area under the canopy painted Neutral Gray or Olive Drab?

The N.G. team pointed out the distinctly different appearance of this area compared with surrounding camouflage and argued that it must be a different colour.

The O.D. brigade put the difference down to "perspex effect" i.e. the same colour looks different seen through the canopy. These photos were posted to show the difference with and without the canopy.

Prior to this I would have agreed with the N.G. theory... but I have to admit this is pretty convincing ...

But getting back to REAL issue... that is a seriously tasty looking model!! 2nd a/c build? (Loud sound of weeping!)

All the best

Rowan
sweatydogz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2003 - 10:14 AM UTC
Thanks Porky,
I think i'll paint the section under the canopy the same colour as the interior, it will hopefully help break up the olive drab.
As i'm pretty new to model a/c, it will not matter if its wrong. Just enjoying the hobby. I have just started a P38 lightning so hopefully i will post some more pics soon. :-) :-)
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2003 - 10:33 AM UTC
Hi Sweatydogz

You may well be right! No-one in the debate pointed out that in the top photo, the area where the canopy will cover looks the same as the cockpit interior! Unless someone invents time-travel maybe we'll never know (and if they do, we'll hopefully use it for more important things...).

Lovely model

Take care

Rowan
GN
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 24 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2003 - 01:50 PM UTC
Nice work indeed. Here's what I would do, take make a great job even better.

1) I would add some chipped paint/silvering. Some areas are on the side of the props. Don't forget in which direction the blades turn i.e. take the most beating. The engine compartent is also a "must". Be careful though, since gently does it. I normally use Humbrol Silver (H11) plus 20% Gloss Black. Otherwise it will bee to shiny. The leading edges of the wings might be an area considered for treatment as well.

2) Couldn't see any traces of exhaust vapour in the pics. I suggest that you use some pastels there (preferably black) Also you might consider to add further pastels from the guns.

3) For your next project when the kit is still coated in gloss lacque, I would propose, that you would use some more wash in the panel lines, to enhance the 3D effect.

When it comes to weathering an a/c it all comes down to fingerspitzgefuhl.In other words it's up to you to decide how much/little of the different tehcniques that will be applied in each case. I myself belong to the school who thinks that mil. a/c should be weathered.

Anyway, hope this was of help and once again, impressive work

EW
uscusn
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 86 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2003 - 04:31 PM UTC
Excellent P-47, very good for just a 2nd go and picked a good one with the Tam P-47.
The most impressive part is the interior, nice image as well. Looks like you done some preshading as well under OD. Decal work is very well done. I have not built this kit but do have a Monogram kit and also painted the rear area interior green as well.

Fly Navy!
TwistedFate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 805 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2003 - 04:45 PM UTC
Looks very good. Especially for a 2nd aircraft. Keep it up and keep sending pics.
mrs_selrach
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 225 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2003 - 05:31 PM UTC
Nice plane!! I love your detailing of the cockpit.

_GOTOTOP