_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
Israeli F4 and Kfir questions
MikeMx
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 649 posts
AeroScale: 434 posts
Posted: Monday, August 03, 2009 - 02:15 AM UTC
I have a Fujimi 1/72 Israeli F4 Phantom in my stash and I have a question regarding it. All the photos I have seen of Israeli F4's show a refuelling probe on the starboard cockpit side but the kit doesn't appear to have this. Do or did all Israeli Phantoms have the refuelling probe and was it always extended if they did? Does anyone do an aftermarket refuelling probe for Israeli Phantoms in 1/72?
Which is the best kit in 1/72 for a KFIR? I have the Hasegawa one but it looks a bit basic and lacks detail compared to the F4 and Israeli F15 I have.

thanks
Mike
pigsty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,226 posts
AeroScale: 640 posts
Posted: Monday, August 03, 2009 - 09:31 PM UTC
Digging deep in the memory bank, the Israeli F-4 had a refuelling probe retrofitted some time after it entered service, so early ones will have none. The probe is fixed and is plumbed externally into one of the forward fuselage fuel tanks, behind the cockpit. I'm afraid I don't know who makes an aftermarket probe.

Kfirs: Italeri did an F-21 (the Kfir C1 in USMC markings) and I htink may have done a Kfir C2 with the full-size canards too. Quite nice kits with engraved panel lines, which I think puts them a step ahead of the old Hasegawa one. Long out of produciton, though, so you may have a job finding one.
MikeMx
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, August 05, 2009 - 01:19 AM UTC
Thanks for the info. I found a Tamiya 1/72 KFIR on ebay, so I've bought it. I'll see what thats like and if it's not much good I'll keep a look out for the Italeri one.

thanks
Mike
pigsty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,226 posts
AeroScale: 640 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 05, 2009 - 04:23 AM UTC
It probably is the Italeri one. Tamiya have distribution rights in Japan for Italeri kits.
MikeMx
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, August 05, 2009 - 05:48 AM UTC
Yes I found that out too. I had a brainwave after the last post and checked on HLJ's website and that confirmed it was a re-packaged Italeri kit. So you can order them from HLJ - the yen price works out at just over £6 - of course it will most likely cost about £10 to have it posted!

thanks
Mike
 _GOTOTOP