_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II: Great Britain
Aircraft of Great Britain in WWII.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
1/72 Hurricane questions - ignore last topic!
MikeMx
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 649 posts
AeroScale: 434 posts
Posted: Monday, August 10, 2009 - 07:01 AM UTC
Ok I'll start again as I found out what i wanted to know about the Airfix Hurricane.
Here's what I'm aiming to do. I'm wanting to eventually have in 1/72 the following Hurricane's - MkI, MkIIB, MkIID, MkIV and a Sea Hurricane MkIIC.
I already have the Revell Sea Hurricane but it's missing a cannon, hence my asking for 20mm cannons. I also have a Revell MkIIB, which will be built as a MkIIB.
I like the revell Hurricane kit and I was wondering which was the best base kit for the MkIID and MkIV - the Revell MkIIB or MkIIC? I know the IIB does not have the tropical filter and the MkIIC does but I was more concerned about the wings, ie, would the MkIIB wings or MkIIC wings be better? I'm hoping th MkIIC will be usable, as then I would have some spare cannons to fix my Sea Hurricane!
Thanks
Mike
robot_
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 719 posts
AeroScale: 691 posts
Posted: Monday, August 10, 2009 - 09:59 AM UTC
I've been looking at 1/72 Hurricanes a bit (trying to justify buying an Engines & Things Napier Sabre for a Typhoon by adding other engine types- e.g. Merlins to the order). A good starting point is the 72 Scale page.

Some of those kits or AM stuff is hard to get hold of, but eBay can have its uses.
MikeMx
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, August 10, 2009 - 11:59 AM UTC
I'm trying to avoid the more expensive Hasegawa kits! The Revell kit is nice enough, I can testify after building the Sea Hurricane. What I would love to know is - can you easily make a MkIID from a MkIIC?
thanks
Mike
robot_
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 719 posts
AeroScale: 691 posts
Posted: Monday, August 10, 2009 - 07:29 PM UTC
According to Wikipedia, the Mk.IID is based on a Mk.IIB- so the wing would be wrong if you based it on a IIC, I think.

If the only difference is the 30mm cannon, the conversion would be simply to buy the gun pods. The only ones I've seen (I'm no expert!) are these.
MikeMx
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2009 - 01:09 AM UTC
True but my thinking was if I got the Revell MkIIC, i would get the cannons I need to fix my Sea Hurricane. You can get some cannons aftermarket but they are missing the cannon bases that the revell kit features. Time to look at Hurricane pics I think!

thanks
Mike
Removed by original poster on 08/11/09 - 12:31:11 (GMT).
MikeMx
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2009 - 02:46 AM UTC
I've checked my MkIIB and Sea Hurricane and the wings have different panels, due to the different armament so i think I will get another MkIIB and the aftermarket set to make a MkIID but that leaves the problem of the missing cannon barrel for my Sea Hurricane. So if anyone has spare cannons off a Revell Hurricane MkIIC and doesn't mind parting with them, then I would be most grateful!

thanks
Mike
MikeMx
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2009 - 04:23 AM UTC
Also regarding wikipedia, I don't take anything on there as absolute fact. It's most likely correct I suspect but so far I have found nothing else stating which MKII the MKIID was based on. If anyone else can shed any light on this I would be grateful, I've got bored of googling!

thanks
Mike
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2009 - 05:21 AM UTC
In case you don't have luck finding spares, Quickboost makes 20mm barrels for the mk.IIC. They're marked as intended for the Hasegawa kit, but I don't believe they wouldn't fit the Revell kit as well.
MikeMx
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2009 - 06:15 AM UTC
Yeah I saw them but on the revell kit (not sure if this is accurate) the base of the cannons is much thicker and this feature is not present on the quickboost cannons. How difficult is it to get spares from Revell?

thanks
Mike
 _GOTOTOP