_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
pearl harbour bomber
panzerIV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 781 posts
AeroScale: 65 posts
Posted: Monday, August 10, 2009 - 09:46 AM UTC
hi guys i was wondering towards the end of the film of pearl harbour the americans have trained to get a bomber plane off the runway of and aircraft carrier. is the bomber a b-25 mitchell?
if so is airfix's version a good investment for making this plane?
i cant find any reviews on this kit :s maybe someone could link me and help me to see if this is suitable for pearl harbour dio??

cheers in advance

tony
PanzerMike
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hamilton, New Zealand
KitMaker: 298 posts
AeroScale: 120 posts
Posted: Monday, August 10, 2009 - 11:09 AM UTC
Greetings - yes the plane is a B25 Mitchell, google "Doolittle raid" and it will tell you all you need to knuw about these planes and this amazing feat of flying. These were early B25s so in 1/48 you cant go past the Accurate Minitures Mitchell for detail and accuracy.Not sure about 1/72 as i dont build that scale but i think Haegawa makes a nice Mitchell in that scale.
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Monday, August 10, 2009 - 01:52 PM UTC
The Doolittle Raid involved 16 B-25B bombers. the rear machine guns were replaced with broomsticks to save weight but still give the appearance of rear defense.

Put please, please, please don't use that god awful Pearl Harbor movie as a reference source (please!!!)

I found their handling of the Doolittle raid to be particularly offensive as it trivializes the enormous sacrifices the Chinese people suffered to save the America airmen that crash landed after the raid. 250,000 people executed by the Japanese for rescuing a handful of American fliers should be honored in any mention of that action, not completely ignored and replaced with some lame hollywood heroic BS.
17thVa
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 22 posts
AeroScale: 7 posts
Posted: Monday, August 10, 2009 - 04:01 PM UTC
The "Doolittle Raid" was in April 1942--a little off for Pearl Harbor. The aircraft are B-25B, accurate miniatures makes a kit of this--it can be built as any one of the "Doolittle Raiders", read the book "Thirty seconds over Tokyo" to see how this mission came together. As for the movie "Pearl Harbor"--Fictional History--you are better off to watch "Tora Tora Tora"--Pat Jones
russamotto
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
AeroScale: 375 posts
Posted: Monday, August 10, 2009 - 04:14 PM UTC
The movie version of 30 seconds over Tokyo shows the training involved and indicates the efforts of the crews and the Chineese. Accurate Miniatures is the best to go with according to on line reviews and comments. Italeri makes a rebox of the same kit but their cardboard is more expensive. I don't know if they do the B variant. I think the Hasegawa kit in 1/72 is a J version. I couldn't find any reference to the Airfix kit so I don't know the quality.
gaborka
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Borsod-Abauj-Zemblen, Hungary
KitMaker: 626 posts
AeroScale: 264 posts
Posted: Monday, August 10, 2009 - 08:09 PM UTC
Italeri has a B-25 in 1/48 and also had it in 1/72 which may not be too hard to find. I built the Airfix B-25 and it was fun, but it is rather toylike with the movable steering elements and heavy riveting. While I am not an expert on this type I would say it is not the best representation if you want an accurately looking Mitchell.
panzerIV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 781 posts
AeroScale: 65 posts
Posted: Monday, August 10, 2009 - 11:41 PM UTC
hi guys

thanks for the reply.

vanize i apologise for using pearl harbour as a reference ( i feel so embarrassed )
aircraft is not my main interest im an armour builder mainly, aircraft is just a broadening of the horizon. dont get me wrong i like aircraft alot fast manouverable heavy loud bombing runs etc i love all that i was just born to be armour =]
those that helped the americans should be remembered. that is so sad so many got shot. and it was never remembered its horrible.

thank you for the replies
and no more pearl harbour for me =]

cheers tony
 _GOTOTOP