Modern aircraft of the United States.
1/32 A-10A+...
Erik67
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buskerud, Norway
KitMaker: 1,871 posts
AeroScale: 58 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2009 - 01:13 AM UTC
...Well, not exactly but close... I built this A-10 as a display model for the FAC section at my current post and those guys wanted as much ordonance as possible hanging under the plane. The kit is Trumpeters 1/32 A-10 Thunderbolt II and I was not very impressed with this kit. The fit was somewhat shady and the decals were the worst I have ever used. Some details were a bit soft to. I built the kit to look like an A-10A+ upgrading it with a Lantirn pod, GBU-12 bombs, MK-84 airbursts and a new jammer. Most of the parts were left over Tamiya and Academy parts. The cockpit was detailed using an Eduard etch set, but it is not upgraded to A-10A+ standards.
I usually build armour and I have to admit that my airplane building skills are not very good. This turned out to be an ok modell when watched from a 3 feet distance, but not much more... However, the FAC guys were happy with it so I guess I am too...

The biggest fit problem was in the fuselage. Lots of filler was needed to get it to look ok.

I changed Trumpeters pilot (left) with a spare Tamiya F-16 pilot. Trumps pilot looked like he could be a star in Iron Eagle since he was closer to 1/48 than 1/32 scale.

Some of the weapons I used. I also scratched a rocket pod.

I like jets flying so I made a stand from a used 30mm cartridge and som brass round bar. Everything was sandblasted and gloss coated. The cartridge is from a CV 90 but it gives at least some impression of how a round for the A-10s gatling gun looks.

It is not easy to take good photos of such a big model so I just snapped off a few at my work bench. The finished model is far from my best work so I did not much time in preparing it for photography. Next "wingy thing" project will be Tamiyas 1/32 F-15E.

Erik
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 880 posts
AeroScale: 654 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2009 - 02:34 AM UTC
Very cool. We have two of these fly over the house every day, you don't hear them until their past the house. Like one A-10 pilot said, who cares how much noise you make on the way out, the enemy is already dead. Nice build Erik, I like the base, Wingman out.
armouredcharmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 670 posts
AeroScale: 175 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2009 - 07:38 AM UTC
That`s one sweet build,when i did mine i had fit problems with the wheel pods not the fuselage !.My bird has pride of place in my workshop (being that size what else could she have)it`s done in the colours of "playtime",the A-10 that holds the record for the longest SAR-CAP in history - something in the order of 10 hours.
The biggest giggle i get is when i did some "Googling" on her,she`s now on display at the air force museum at Wright-Patterson AFB - MINUS the "interesting" female artwork on her nose.
ShawnM
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 564 posts
AeroScale: 510 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2009 - 11:22 AM UTC
looks awesome! Great work...now I need to find one of those kits.
youngtiger1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 534 posts
AeroScale: 47 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2009 - 03:32 PM UTC
Very nice work Erik. Like the way you did the base. Thanks for sharing.

Mike
Gorizont
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,462 posts
AeroScale: 27 posts
Posted: Monday, September 07, 2009 - 09:51 AM UTC
Wow, this looks very impressive!
Also the stand seems to be stable, to hold this big bird.

greetings...
Soeren
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Monday, September 07, 2009 - 10:41 AM UTC
Looks really great Erik...3 foot or not. Love the in-flight display and presentation. I totally understand you about the fuselage fit and cockpit. The decals are bad, registration way off and thick. I have the 1/32nd A-10A N/AW with Verlindens cockpit. Someday I plan on finishing. Do you have any progress pics of the cockpit.

Happy Modeling,
Joe
 _GOTOTOP