_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
Best way to eliminate seams?
UM83CANES
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 275 posts
AeroScale: 19 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2009 - 04:52 AM UTC
Hello everyone,

I’m VERY new to model aircraft modeling but I’ve been inspired to jump right into based on the phenomenal work I’ve seen here.

Anyway, can someone suggest an easy way for a novice to eliminate the seam lines that usually run along the top and bottom of the fuselage when you glue the halves together…

Basically, are there any tips or techniques you can share that help you avoid sanding or scraping off panel lines and other details so you don’t have to do a ton of re-scribing?

Thanks in advance,

Noah
LongKnife
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jönköping, Sweden
KitMaker: 831 posts
AeroScale: 688 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2009 - 06:57 AM UTC
Hi Noah, and welcome to Aeroscale. There is a great tutorial by HawkeyeV (Gerald Voigt) showing many different methods (for many different problems) to tend to seams. Bookmark that one and you'll never be alone

Reading the seams

Good luck, and see you around Tony
stonar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 337 posts
AeroScale: 309 posts
Posted: Friday, August 14, 2009 - 06:09 AM UTC
Ditto, an eccellent tutorial. I think the trick is to save yourself as much work as possible. I try very hard to make sure that seams are correctly aligned and that I have a nice bead of "molten" plastic oozing out of the join. Hopefully once I clean this off the seam itself is filled ,sealed and invisible.
A little bit of sinkage is easily fixed whereas a step can be a nightmare!
I don't get it perfect every time (does anyone?) so the remedial tips in the tutorial will prove invaluable.
Best of luck
Steve
armouredcharmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 670 posts
AeroScale: 175 posts
Posted: Friday, August 14, 2009 - 07:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Noah, and welcome to Aeroscale. There is a great tutorial by HawkeyeV (Gerald Voigt) showing many different methods (for many different problems) to tend to seams. Bookmark that one and you'll never be alone

Reading the seams

Good luck, and see you around Tony

Double ditto on that - i`ve been modelling stuff for thirty years and this STILL managed to teach me a couple of new tricks !!
UM83CANES
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 275 posts
AeroScale: 19 posts
Posted: Friday, August 14, 2009 - 07:56 AM UTC
Thank you for the responses and the outstanding tutorial!
 _GOTOTOP