_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
The Black Swallow of Death
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 15, 2009 - 07:30 PM UTC

The Model Cellar would like to announce our August release. It is a 200mm bust of the first African American fighter pilot, Eugene Bullard in the Lafayette Flying Corps 1917.

Born in Columbus, Georgia in 1894, Eugene Jacques Bullard was the first black combat aviator, and the only black fighter pilot in WWI. Awarded the Croix de Geurre for actions in the Battle of Verdun in 1916, he later flew as a member of the Lafayette Flying Corps. Flying in French squadrons during World War I before America entered the war, he was assigned to 93 Spad Squadron where he flew 20 missions. You can read more about Eugene Bullard here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugene_Bullard

Sculpted by Randy Meyers, this bust is an excellent likeness of Bullard. Shown wearing the Navy Blue French Tunic, he has the Croix de Guerre pinned on his chest as well as the French aviators badge. Detail is clean and crisp. A small crcular resin pedestal is included (wooden base not included).

The kit particulars are as follows:
item: MC20015
Eugene Bullard
Lafayette Flying Corps 1917
retail price: $27.50 USD

To purchase this fine historical bust, visit our website (www.ModelCellar.com) and use the shopping cart feature. Pay with VISA or Mastercard.

...or send a check or money order (+ $5.00 Postage) to:
Model Cellar Productions
P.O. Box 388
Horsham, PA 19044

PLEASE NOTE: Our busts and figures are unassembled and unpainted. They require assembly and painting.

We look forward to serving you in the future with more high quality resin figures, busts and accessories.

Regards,
Paul
Model Cellar Productions

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 15, 2009 - 07:46 PM UTC
Several things about Messer Bullard the Wikipedia site does not mention. Jacques (Jack) was a decorated soldier and a top notch machine gun operator in the infantry. He was not an officer and the French officer he did crack in the jaw, had previously used a racial slur aimed at Jacques. Remember he was a prize fighter before he inlisted. He was moved back to the infantry butFrance noted he was an honourable man. At the end of WWII he was one of the Americans asked to join in the relighting of the Freedom torch.

His biography is titled "The Black Swallow of Death" because his infantry unit's pennant was a Black Swallow inflight. He evidently flew Spad VII and as his personal marking used a heart stabbed with a knife and the motto; "All blood runs red". I am checking on Esc. Spa 93 to see if it was them he flew with.
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,058 posts
AeroScale: 1,004 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 15, 2009 - 08:23 PM UTC
That skin tone would be a challange to get right.Have seen this bust on the Cellar site and I will give this a try some day.It´s tempting bust in my eyes.

Just got the Voss 54 mm figure for a new Feature for this site, so times fly..
Cheers
Larsa Q
ps Just got the last Goerth bust from Ebay yesterday
modelcellar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 75 posts
AeroScale: 50 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 19, 2009 - 10:45 AM UTC
Hey Stephen,

Thanks for posting it =).

regards,
Paul
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 19, 2009 - 12:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Stephen,
Thanks for posting it =).
regards,
Paul

Nothin but luv for Modelcellar here at Aeroscale. We always look forward to your products.
 _GOTOTOP