_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Japanese Camo?
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 15, 2009 - 08:40 PM UTC
Can anyone tell me how to reproduce the green over silver camo used by the Japanese in WW2? Specifically, the camo on the Hasegawa Ki43 II of the 54th Fighter Regiment. I was going to try doing it using Mr Color Aluminium and green paint, but my local LHS has been out of it for months.

TIA

Warren
29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 674 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 15, 2009 - 10:51 PM UTC
Warren,

Apply an overall BMF on your Ki 43 and use Maskol to cover the silver and apply a coat of IJA Dark Green, to make the mottle, just about every model paint manufacturer, make this colour, in either Acrylic or Enamel.

In wartime service almost all Japanese combat aircraft, were painted in the field, using either mops or brooms.

Hope this helps a little.
Removed by original poster on 08/17/09 - 20:09:45 (GMT).
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Monday, August 17, 2009 - 09:12 AM UTC
I enjoy using Model Master Acryl aluminum; I paint the whole aircraft overall that color then go to some IJA green for some camoflage. Turn the pressure down on your airbrush compressor and have fun!

I have included a picture of my Tony that I did, some would say the spray pattern is way to wide for the green "snake" camo. I have to admit I think it is too, but many have said don't worry about since these were field applied markings. Hope this helps. Oh, I also like the Polly Scale line of acrylics as well. Russell

warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Monday, August 17, 2009 - 09:33 AM UTC
If you think it is fine then it is fine mate!

I have decided to use the painful method of making paper masks for the pattern... Will post the method later.
 _GOTOTOP